Convergence problem for Fourier Transform of 1/t

In summary, the Fourier Transform of f(t)=1/t, also known as the Hilbert Transformer, can be shown to converge using the Dirichlet test for integrals. This test states that if f(t) is a continuous function on [a,b] and g(t) is a monotonic function on [a,b] with g(t) approaching 0 as t approaches infinity, then the integral of f(t)g(t) converges. In this case, we can let f(t)=cos(t) and g(t)=1/t. Since g(t) approaches 0 as t approaches infinity, the integral will converge if cos(t) is continuous on [0, infinity). This is indeed the case, as cos(t
chingkui
Hi,

I am trying to derive the Fourier Transform of f(t)=1/t, but I have trouble showing the integral of exp(-jwt)/t converges near t=0 (for the real part). Essentially, I need to show convergence for the integral of cos(t)/t around t=0.
I could show the complex part converges (i.e. integral of sin(wt)/t from -inf to inf) but don't know what it equals to. Have anyone seen that before?
This function is called "Hilbert Transformer" and is used in some of my EE books (DSP, Communication, etc.), all these books claim that the Fourier Transform F{1/t}=1 for w>0, -1 for w<0, and 0 for w=0, but none of them gives any decent proof.
Does this integral even converge?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. The Fourier Transform of f(t)=1/t is indeed known as the Hilbert Transformer. To show convergence of the integral of cos(t)/t around t=0, we can use the Dirichlet test for integrals. This test states that if f(t) is a continuous function on [a,b] and g(t) is a monotonic function on [a,b] with g(t) approaching 0 as t approaches infinity, then the integral of f(t)g(t) converges. In this case, we can let f(t)=cos(t) and g(t)=1/t. Since g(t) approaches 0 as t approaches infinity, the integral will converge if cos(t) is continuous on [0, infinity). This is indeed the case, as cos(t) is continuous on all real numbers. Therefore, the integral of cos(t)/t around t=0 will converge and the Fourier Transform of f(t)=1/t will be as you have stated: 1 for w>0, -1 for w<0, and 0 for w=0.

I hope this helps and provides a decent proof for the convergence of the integral. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the Convergence Problem for Fourier Transform of 1/t?

The convergence problem for Fourier Transform of 1/t refers to the issue of the Fourier transform not existing for the function 1/t. This means that the Fourier transform of 1/t is not well-defined and cannot be calculated using the standard definition of the Fourier transform.

2. Why is the Fourier Transform of 1/t not well-defined?

The Fourier transform of 1/t is not well-defined because the function 1/t does not satisfy the conditions required for the Fourier transform to exist. Specifically, the function 1/t does not have a finite integral, which is a necessary condition for the Fourier transform to exist.

3. Can the Convergence Problem for Fourier Transform of 1/t be solved?

No, the convergence problem for Fourier Transform of 1/t cannot be solved because the function 1/t does not satisfy the necessary conditions for the Fourier transform to exist. However, there are other methods that can be used to approximate the Fourier transform of 1/t.

4. What are some alternative methods for approximating the Fourier transform of 1/t?

One alternative method for approximating the Fourier transform of 1/t is to use a generalized or tempered distribution approach. This involves extending the definition of the Fourier transform to include functions that do not have a finite integral. Other methods include using a Laplace transform or a numerical approximation.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the Convergence Problem for Fourier Transform of 1/t?

The convergence problem for Fourier Transform of 1/t is mainly of theoretical interest and does not have many direct real-world applications. However, it is important to understand this problem in the study of Fourier analysis and its applications in various fields such as signal processing, image reconstruction, and quantum mechanics.