Struggling in Organic Chem? Any Recommended Study Guides?

In summary, an organic chemistry study guide serves as a comprehensive review tool to help students learn and understand key concepts in organic chemistry. When choosing a study guide, it is important to consider content coverage, level of detail, and practice problems, as well as reading reviews and recommendations. It should not be used as a replacement for a textbook, but rather as a supplement. Effective study techniques include creating flashcards, practicing with sample problems, and using the guide as a reference while completing homework assignments. Online resources, such as interactive tutorials and practice quizzes, can also enhance understanding.
pattiecake
Only three weeks into organic chemistry I, and I'm already feeling hopelessly confused. Can anyone recommend a good study guide or book to help clarify the basics, and explain the big picture? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
big picture? You better use what they give you, because that's all there is really. You may find the schaum's study guides helpful; not so helpful during the beginning chapters, but further on it may be of additional use.

As a fellow organic chemistry student, I completely understand how overwhelming the subject can be at first. I highly recommend checking out "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" by David Klein. It breaks down the key concepts and mechanisms in a clear and easy-to-understand manner. Additionally, "Organic Chemistry for Dummies" by Arthur Winter is also a great resource for understanding the basics and connecting them to the larger concepts. Both of these books have been lifesavers for me in my organic chemistry journey. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of an organic chemistry study guide?

An organic chemistry study guide is designed to help students learn and understand the fundamental concepts and principles of organic chemistry. It provides a comprehensive review of important topics and serves as a tool to help students prepare for exams and quizzes.

2. How do I choose the best organic chemistry study guide?

When choosing an organic chemistry study guide, it is important to consider the content coverage, level of detail, and practice problems provided. It is also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from other students or professors to find the most effective study guide for your learning style.

3. Can an organic chemistry study guide replace a textbook?

No, an organic chemistry study guide should not be used as a replacement for a textbook. While a study guide can provide a condensed review of important topics, it does not contain all of the information and explanations found in a textbook. It is best used as a supplement to your textbook.

4. What are some effective study techniques for using an organic chemistry study guide?

Some effective study techniques for using an organic chemistry study guide include creating flashcards to review key terms and concepts, practicing with sample problems, and using the guide as a reference while completing homework assignments. It is also important to regularly review the guide and not wait until the last minute before an exam.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement an organic chemistry study guide?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement an organic chemistry study guide. These include interactive tutorials, practice quizzes and exams, and videos explaining difficult concepts. It is important to use a variety of resources to enhance your understanding of organic chemistry.