Help Needed with Final Question on Electrical Course

In summary, Ryan struggled with physics questions in an electrical course and is having a hard time finding the relevant equations. He has posted a few questions on the forum but is struggling to get help. He has attempted to calculate the critical length for buckling failure, and found that the effective length is too short.
ryanmcarthy
Hi All,

I am really struggling with a question, and this is the last one I need to complete and then I can submit my paper.

I appreciate you don't like to just give out answers, but I can't work anything out. I am doing an electrical course, but for some reason there are some physics questions in, which I don't understand.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/mcarthyryan/Pg5.png

Pg5.png

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
ryanmcarthy said:
Hi All,

I am really struggling with a question, and this is the last one I need to complete and then I can submit my paper.

I appreciate you don't like to just give out answers, but I can't work anything out. I am doing an electrical course, but for some reason there are some physics questions in, which I don't understand.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/mcarthyryan/Pg5.png

Pg5.png

Thanks a lot

What are the relevant equations? What is the name of the class, and what year?

Hi,
I'm not sure on the equations :( And the course is Electrical and Electronic Engineering, hence why I am struggling with physics questions.

Thanks a lot

ryanmcarthy said:
Hi,
I'm not sure on the equations :( And the course is Electrical and Electronic Engineering, hence why I am struggling with physics questions.

Thanks a lot

That is no help. Please re-read the PF Rules link at the top of the page, and try again...

Do you have a textbook or some course notes to help you along? All of the posts you've posted seem to be of an introductory mechanics / statics bent, so I'm assuming you're working through a textbook / course of some sort? Like Jerry Maguire says, "Help us help you".

EDIT: If not, here's a starting point for part (a):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Apologise for lack of input in my previous post :)

I've had a go at the answers, and hopefully these are nearly there, could you possibly check them out?

a)

Euler buckling

Yield load Pc = σy A = π2 E I / leff2

Fixed ends
σy A = π2 E I / leff2 = 4 π2 E I / l2 or l2 = 4 π2 E I / σy A
I = π (do4 – di4) / 64,
where do = outer diameter = 80E-3 and di = inner diameter = 60E-3
and A = π r2, where r = (do – di ) / 2

So inserting all the data, the critical length lcr becomes 0.0131 m

b) i) Buckling mode shown in figure.
Can't draw this on here, but I think it is a column, a bit like "I", but with a bend in the middle?

ii) Critical load: Pcr = σy A = 308 kN

c) i) For a short column, the failure comes through compression rather than buckling.

ii) Johnsons formula gives the critical load as:

Pcr = σy A (1 - ) = 308 kN

Am I getting there? Thanks a lot

The calculation of the cross sectional area A is incorrect. There may be other problems in the calculation with using the right units.

If you think about the kind of structures which are prone to failure by buckling, long skinny members will buckle before short fat ones. Your effective length looks to be quite short for buckling failure, given the diameter of the pipe.

Could you point out which calculation please?

The cross sectional area of the pipe, A = (pi/4)*(do^2-di^2) sq.mm Your calculations used r = (do - di) / 2 which is incorrect. The wall thickness of the pipe t = (do - di) / 2
It makes a big difference in the magnitude of the area.

Thanks a lot for that, I will re-do them.

1. What exactly is the final question on the electrical course?

The final question on the electrical course is typically a comprehensive test or project that assesses your understanding and application of the concepts and skills learned throughout the course.

2. How can I prepare for the final question on the electrical course?

To prepare for the final question, it is important to review all course materials, notes, and assignments. You can also practice with sample questions or projects provided by your instructor or textbook.

3. Is the final question on the electrical course difficult?

The difficulty of the final question can vary depending on the course and instructor. However, as long as you have actively engaged in the course and put in effort to understand the material, you should be well-prepared for the final question.

4. Can I use outside resources or collaborate with others on the final question?

This will depend on your instructor's guidelines. Some may allow the use of outside resources or group work, while others may require you to complete the final question on your own. It is important to clarify any questions with your instructor beforehand.

5. How much does the final question on the electrical course contribute to my final grade?

This will also vary depending on the course and instructor. Some may have the final question count for a significant portion of your grade, while others may have it as a smaller percentage. It is important to check the syllabus or ask your instructor for clarification on the weight of the final question.