Double Integral: Change of Variables for dx/(x+y) = 3

In summary, the conversation discusses using a change of variables and the Jacobian to evaluate a double integral of the region bounded by x=0, y=0, x+y=1, and x+y=4. The answer to the integral is 3. The process involves finding the boundaries in the u-v plane, determining the values of u and v for each boundary, and using the Jacobian to calculate the integral. There is some uncertainty about the method used, but the final answer is correct.
cos(e)

Homework Statement

Let D be the region bounded by x=0, y=0, x+y=1, x+y=4. Using the change on variables x=u-uv, y=uv and the jacobian, evaluate the double integral
double integral of dxdy/(x+y)

Homework Equations

answer is 3

The Attempt at a Solution

i drew the graph and found the boundaries x=1,y=0,x+y=1,x+y=4 and solved u and v for each boundary

for x=0: 0=u-uv
v=1

for y=0: 0=uv
so either v=0 or v=0 or both u and v are 0

for x+y=1: u-uv+uv=1
u=1

for x+y=4: u-uv+uv=4
u=4

therefore i have the region in the uv plane [1,4]X[0,1]

now dx=(1-v)du
dy=udv

therefore i get double integral(i-v)dvdu dudv with v varying from 0 to1 and u varying from 1 to 4 and i get 3/2?

im not sure I am doing the right method, i have a feeling I am wrong when i let y=0 and assume v=0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i forgot bout the jacobian so i tried J=
|delx/delu delx/delv |
|dely/delu dely/delv |
and i got J=u, which gives the right answer, yet I am not sure if I am doing this right i feel i fluked the answer

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical integration that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region in a Cartesian coordinate system. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. How does change of variables work in a double integral?

In a double integral, change of variables refers to the process of substituting one set of variables for another in order to simplify the integration. This is often done by using a transformation that maps the original region of integration to a simpler or more convenient one. In the case of dx/(x+y) = 3, the substitution of variables will involve finding a new expression for dx/(x+y) that is easier to integrate.

3. Why is dx/(x+y) = 3 used in this example?

In this example, dx/(x+y) = 3 is used as the integrand because it allows for a simple change of variables. This specific form of the integrand is known as a rational function, and it can be transformed into a simpler form by using a substitution of variables.

4. What are the benefits of using change of variables in a double integral?

Using change of variables in a double integral can make the integration process simpler and more efficient. It can also help to reveal underlying symmetries or patterns in the function being integrated, making it easier to evaluate the integral or understand the behavior of the function.

5. Are there any limitations to using change of variables in a double integral?

While change of variables can be a powerful tool in simplifying double integrals, it is not always possible or practical to use. In some cases, the substitution of variables may lead to a more complicated integral or may not be possible at all. It is important to carefully consider the choice of variables and the limits of integration when using this technique.