Interesting question

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary: What molecular solid (composed of any quantity of halogen & SPONCH atoms) might have the highest melting point (in °Celsius) to molar mass (in grams) ratio?(Only halogen and SPONCH atoms are allowed for the molecules!)With units °C*mol/g, the scyllo-inositol ratio is 233% that of the glucose ratio.
bomba923
Hmm...well, it may seem rather immature :redface:

Using any quantity of (any) halogen and SPONCH atoms, draw a molecule of the molecular solid possessing the highest

[tex]\frac{\text{Melting point}}{\text{Molar mass}}[/tex]

ratio.

(Note: Diamond is not a molecular solid; it is a network solid)

What molecular solid (composed of any quantity of halogen & SPONCH atoms) might have the highest melting point (in °Celsius) to molar mass (in grams) ratio?

(Only halogen and SPONCH atoms are allowed.)

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is water (ice) ?

Ice (water) is a molecular solid, as the water molecules are held together NOT by covalent or ionic bonds...but rather by such intermolecular foces as H-bonds, dipole-dipole attractions, and general dispersion forces.

Acquired from http://chemmovies.unl.edu/Chemistry/DoChem/DoChem037.html ,
Ionic solids contain ions held together by ionic bonds. These solids are typically hard and have high melting points. They are often soluble in water, but insoluble in organic solvents. They are not observed to conduct electricity in the solid state, but do so both in aqueous solutions and in pure molten form. (Use a solid like calcium sulfate as an ionic solid not soluble in water.)

Molecular solids are made up of molecules held together by relatively weak forces. They tend to be soft, easily melted and volatile. Molecular solids are likely to be insoluble in water, but soluble in organic solvents. Neither the solid nor the molten state conducts electricity, nor do any of the solutions. (Use solid sucrose as a molecular solid that does dissolve in water.)

Covalent network solids contain atoms held together by a network of covalent bonds that link every atom in the solid to every other atom. The molecules are gigantic; each particle of the crystal is essentially one molecule. This type of solid is hard, nonvolatile, very high melting and insoluble in both water and inorganic solvents. They do not conduct electricity.

Metallic solids contain atoms bonded together by metallic bonds. These bonds are strong but not localized. Since the electrons in the metallic bonds are relatively mobile, metals tend to have high melting points and be hard, malleable, nonvolatile and shiny. Metals are soluble neither in water nor organic solvents. Some metals, such as sodium, dissolve by reacting with water. Metals sometimes dissolve in liquid metallic mercury.

By the way, the melting point (in °Celsius) to molar mass (in grams) ratio for water is zero (0 °C/g).

Back to the question,

What molecular solid (composed of any quantity of halogen & SPONCH atoms) might have the highest melting point (in °Celsius) to molar mass (in grams) ratio?

(Only halogen and SPONCH atoms are allowed for the molecules!)

Last edited by a moderator:
bomba923 said:
By the way, the melting point (in °Celsius) to molar mass (in grams) ratio for water is zero (0 °C/g).
I didn't think you'd mentioned the units in your previous post. Your particular choice of units makes the nature of the ratio somewhat arbitrary and meaningless (or at least, less interesting from a scientific point of view).

In units of K-mol/gm, there's at least some meaning to the ratio (it would be strongly correlated to the molar enthalpy of fusion, I'd imagine; and would say something about the strength of intermolecular bonding in the solid state). And in these units, water has a very large ratio of about 15.

Gokul43201 said:
I didn't think you'd mentioned the units in your previous post. Your particular choice of units makes the nature of the ratio somewhat arbitrary and meaningless (or at least, less interesting from a scientific point of view).
Less interesting?
Gokul43201 said:
In units of K-mol/gm, there's at least some meaning to the ratio (it would be strongly correlated to the molar enthalpy of fusion, I'd imagine;
I never said that the ratio should be meaningful /
Gokul43201 said:
and would say something about the strength of intermolecular bonding in the solid state). And in these units, water has a very large ratio of about 15.
Yes, 15 on that scale. But I chose Celsius to better emphasize the proportional difference in ratios for different molecular solids, and to also exclude the water molecule (a trivial answer).

For example, take http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/GL/l(-)-glucose.html and http://trc-canada.com/product.lasso?product=I666050, both of which have equivalent molar masses (180.g/mol).

For glucose, the melting point to molar mass ratio in units K*mol/g is
[tex]\frac{{432\,{\text{K}}}}{{180.\,\tfrac{{\text{g}}}{{{\text{mol}}}}}} = 2.35\frac{{{\text{K}} \cdot {\text{mol}}}}{{\text{g}}}[/tex]

Or, with units °C*mol/g, the ratio is
[tex]\frac{{150.^\circ {\text{C}}}}{{180.\,\tfrac{{\text{g}}}{{{\text{mol}}}}}} \approx 0.833\frac{{^\circ {\text{C}} \cdot {\text{mol}}}}{{\text{g}}}[/tex]

And scyllo-inositol, in units K*mol/g:
[tex]\frac{{623{\text{K}}}}{{180.\,\tfrac{{\text{g}}}{{{\text{mol}}}}}} \approx 3.46\frac{{{\text{K}} \cdot {\text{mol}}}}{{\text{g}}}[/tex]

And with units °C*mol/g,
[tex]\frac{{350.^\circ {\text{C}}}}{{180.\,\tfrac{{\text{g}}}{{{\text{mol}}}}}} \approx 1.94\frac{{^\circ {\text{C}} \cdot {\text{mol}}}}{{\text{g}}}[/tex]

In units °C*mol/g, the scyllo-inositol ratio is 233% that of the glucose ratio. In units K*mol/g, the scyllo-inositol ratio is only 47% greater than that of glucose (147% of the glucose ratio).

The purpose of using Celsius, as opposed to Kelvin, was to
1) eliminate the water molecule (trivial answer) and
2) more strongly emphasize the proportional differences in the ratios for various molecular solids.
------------------------------------------------------------
If you wish, I suppose K*mol/g can be used, and will produce a more meaningful result, in terms of units; in that case, I'd revise the original question-->

|->Not considering ice (water), what molecular solid (composed of any quantity of halogen & SPONCH atoms) might have the highest melting point (in Kelvin) to molar mass (in grams/mol) ratio?

Last edited:
are you supposing that molecules with hydrogen bonding with the optimal intermolecular arragments (with some degree of symmetry, no intramolecular interactions, high density) would have the high mp/mw ratios?

Are you suggesting a correlation with thermodynamica/physical parameters (such as density), systematic molecular modeling (e.g. based on group theory), or a naieve hypothesis (you've been convinced through some simple though experiments)?

GCT said:
are you supposing that molecules with hydrogen bonding with the optimal intermolecular arragments (with some degree of symmetry, no intramolecular interactions, high density) would have the high mp/mw ratios?

Are you suggesting a correlation with thermodynamica/physical parameters (such as density), systematic molecular modeling (e.g. based on group theory), or a naieve hypothesis (you've been convinced through some simple though experiments)?
Well, I would expect the molecules to have good H-bonding and dipole-dipole interactions.

But no, I'm not suggesting or supposing anything (no experiments have been done, nor any data collected...nothing of the such); my question is just one of general curiousity~:redface:

Not considering ice (water), what molecular solid (composed of any quantity of halogen & SPONCH atoms) might have the highest melting point (in Kelvin) to molar mass (in grams/mol) ratio?

bomba :

1. The stronger emphasis that you want (by asking for the temerature in C) will happen only if the solid melts closer to 273K than to 0K. For instance in centrigrade units, O2 is less than 7% better than N2, but in Kelvin units N2 is nearly 50% better.

2. For the above reason (and others), I think perhaps, you want to restrict the quest to solids that freeze above 273K. But I'd still recommend keeping Kelvin units (centigrade is a somewhat arbitrary unit of temperature and how no real thermodynamic meaning).

3. Working with K-mol/g (and not imposing the condition in point 2 above) : HF has a ratio of 9.5 (I know this is different from the direction in which you are looking, but what the heck !)

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
bomba :

1. The stronger emphasis that you want (by asking for the temerature in C) will happen only if the solid melts closer to 273K than to 0K. For instance in centrigrade units, O2 is less than 7% better than N2, but in Kelvin units N2 is nearly 50% better.
Good point, as I originally intended the molecular solid to melt above 273K

Gokul43201 said:
2. For the above reason (and others), I think perhaps, you want to restrict the quest to solids that freeze above 273K.
That was the original intent!

3. Working with K-mol/g (and not imposing the condition in point 2 above) : HF has a ratio of 9.5 (I know this is different from the direction in which you are looking, but what the heck !)
:smile: I see...so in that case, I'll revise the question as such:

What molecular solid (composed of any quantity of halogen & SPONCH atoms) might have the highest melting point (which must be greater than 500K) to molar mass ratio (in units K*mol/g)?

Last edited:

1. What makes a question interesting?

An interesting question is one that provokes critical thinking and encourages discussion. It should be thought-provoking, relevant, and have multiple possible answers.

2. Can an interesting question have a definitive answer?

Yes, an interesting question can have a definitive answer, but it should still spark curiosity and be open to interpretation. A question that has a single, straightforward answer may be informative, but it may not be considered truly interesting.

3. How can I come up with interesting questions as a scientist?

As a scientist, you can generate interesting questions by staying curious and observing the world around you. Pay attention to patterns, anomalies, and gaps in knowledge, and use critical thinking to formulate questions that address these areas.

4. Are there certain types of questions that are more interesting than others?

While the definition of an interesting question may vary from person to person, questions that challenge existing beliefs, ask for critical analysis, or require creative thinking are often considered more interesting. Questions that have real-world applications or implications can also be thought-provoking.

5. Why is it important for scientists to ask interesting questions?

Asking interesting questions is crucial for scientific progress and discovery. It encourages exploration, innovation, and deepens our understanding of the world. Interesting questions also lead to new insights and can inspire further research in related areas.