Maximizing Chlorine Gas Production in Brine Electrolysis

In summary, the second experiment will produce less chlorine gas than the first experiment if the same graphite electrode is used. The pH of the brine in the second experiment should be measured to avoid potential ppt formation.
pijoe
hello. I'm new member here. i have some question regarding my brine electrolysis experiment. really hope somebody can help me. I'm using saturated brine in the compartment and graphite as electrode at anode and cathode. i can see the reaction at the anode and cathode was very vigorous and many bubble coming up from the reaction. hopefully there was chlorine gas collected at the anode (i still do not test that gas). my questions are: (1) can i used the same graphite electrode for the 2nd experiment? will the reaction be the same or the effectiveness will decrease? (2) I've read some information said that only 30% of brine in water is enough for this experiment. is that true? which one will produce more chlorine gas, 30% concentration of brine or saturated brine? (3) based on my experiment, the reaction seems stopped after half an hour later. why this happen? what should i do to continuously produce chlorine gas? (4) I'm using 9volts batery for this experiment. is that ok? what is the most effective voltage/current sholud i used?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
what IS the second experiment?? as far as i remember, the only way for graphite to become unusable is through oxidation; but here Cl- is preferentially discharged...so you wouldn't get oxygen... i believe you can still use the grphite electrode...

as long as Cl- is found in a greater concentration than OH-, Cl- will be preferentially discharged. The higher the conc of the brine, the more Cl2 you will get obviously.

and to get more Cl-, increase its concentration...

Chlorine is normally a pale green/yellow gas,...so you would be able to see if it is formed. but i think most will dissolve in the water.

i did electrolysis only last year...so i might be wrong...better confirm it

graphite become unusable

i already test the gas. it is chlorine gas. but when i used the same graphite for the other experiment, it seem like become unusable. the reaction (bubbles produce) was very very slow compared to the first experiment. why this thing happens? what should i do to continuously produce chlorine gas from the experiment.

You may find some answers here. Did you measure the pH of your brine in the second experiment?

1. What is brine electrolysis?

Brine electrolysis is a chemical process that uses an electric current to split saltwater (brine) into its component parts of sodium hydroxide and chlorine gas. It is commonly used in industries such as metal refining, water treatment, and the production of chemicals.

2. How does brine electrolysis work?

In brine electrolysis, two electrodes, typically made of graphite or titanium, are placed into the brine solution. An electric current is passed through the solution, causing the positively charged sodium ions to move towards the negative electrode (cathode) and the negatively charged chloride ions to move towards the positive electrode (anode). This causes a chemical reaction that results in the production of sodium hydroxide and chlorine gas.

3. What are the benefits of brine electrolysis?

Brine electrolysis offers several benefits, including the ability to produce large quantities of sodium hydroxide and chlorine gas at a relatively low cost. It is also a more environmentally friendly method compared to traditional chemical production methods, as it does not rely on the use of harsh chemicals.

4. What are the applications of brine electrolysis?

Brine electrolysis has a wide range of applications, including the production of bleach, detergents, and other cleaning products, as well as in the manufacturing of paper, textiles, and aluminum. It is also used in the treatment of wastewater and in the production of drinking water.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of brine electrolysis?

One potential drawback of brine electrolysis is the high energy consumption required to run the process. This can make it less cost-effective compared to other methods of chemical production. Additionally, the production of chlorine gas can be hazardous if proper safety measures are not in place.