Electrostatic Force curved beam

In summary, the individual is seeking help in determining the electrostatic force between a curved beam and a standard parallel plate electrode. They have an equation for the critical force for snapping between bi-stable states, but need to find one for electrostatic force. They are familiar with obtaining the electrostatic force for parallel plates, but are having trouble when the beam is curved. They are asking for guidance in this matter.
Chase_md
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what the electrostatic force between a curved beam (see picture attached) and a standard parallel plate electrode would be. I have an equation for the critical force to induce snapping between the bi-stable states of the beam, but I need to find out one for electrostatic force to induce this snapping.

I know how to obtain the electrostatic force for 2 parallel plates, but when the beam is curved I'm having an issue. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• beam.png
    beam.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
For infinite plate electric field does not depend on distance.

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a type of force that exists between electrically charged particles. It is a fundamental force of nature and is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between particles with opposite or like charges, respectively.

2. How does electrostatic force affect a curved beam?

When a curved beam is charged, it experiences an electrostatic force due to the presence of electric charges on its surface. This force causes the beam to bend in a particular direction depending on the polarity of the charges and the curvature of the beam.

3. What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force on a curved beam?

The strength of electrostatic force on a curved beam depends on the amount of charge on the beam, the distance between the charges, and the curvature of the beam. The greater the charge and the smaller the distance and curvature, the stronger the electrostatic force will be.

4. How can electrostatic force on a curved beam be measured?

The electrostatic force on a curved beam can be measured using a device called an electroscope. This device consists of a metal rod with a leaf at the end, which is suspended in a glass jar. When a charged beam is brought near the electroscope, the leaf will either be attracted or repelled, indicating the presence and strength of the electrostatic force.

5. Can electrostatic force on a curved beam be manipulated?

Yes, electrostatic force on a curved beam can be manipulated by changing the amount of charge on the beam or by altering the distance or curvature of the beam. By controlling these factors, the direction and strength of the electrostatic force can be changed, allowing for a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology.