How Does Constant Pressure Affect Heat Transfer in Oxygen?

In summary, DPT is a theory that suggests that movement through a medium creates pressure dynamics and forms vortexes.
VitaX

Homework Statement

Suppose 15.2 g of oxygen (O2) is heated at constant atmospheric pressure from 13.3°C to 148°C. (a) How many moles of oxygen are present? (Take the molar mass of oxygen to be 32.0 g/mol) (b) How much energy is transferred to the oxygen as heat? (The molecules rotate but do not oscillate.) (c) What fraction of the heat is used to raise the internal energy of the oxygen?

Homework Equations

Diatomic gas Cp = (7/2)R ; Cv = (5/2)R
Q = nCp(Tf - Ti)
W = P(Vf - Vi) = NR(Tf - Ti)
Change in Kinetic Energy = (3/2)nRT
Change in Internal Energy = nCv(Tf - Ti) = Q - W
Cp - Cv = R

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I got all the information correct above. The ones I'm not too sure about are the Cp and Cv values.

Part A
15.2 g O2 (1 mol O2/32 g O2) = .475 mol O2

Part B
Change in Internal Energy = (.475 mol O2)((5/2)*8.31 J/mol*K)(148 C - 13.3 C) = 1329.236 J

Part C
Change in Kinetic Energy = (3/2)(.475 mol O2)(8.31 J/mol*K)(148 C - 13.3 C) =797.542 J

Fraction of heat used to raise Internal Energy of O2 = 797.542 J/1329.236 J = 0.6

To be honest I'm not really sure about my work on Parts B and C. I was kind of guessing as I was going along. Is the work for those parts correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
For B, calculate the heat. For C, find the ratio between change of internal energy and heat. You do not need the translational kinetic energy.

ehild

ehild said:
For B, calculate the heat. For C, find the ratio between change of internal energy and heat. You do not need the translational kinetic energy.

ehild

Part B
Q = nCpΔT = n(7/2*R)ΔT = (.475 mol O2)(29.085 J/mol*K)(148 C - 13.3 C) = 1860.931 J

Part C
ΔEint = nCvΔT = n(5/2*R)ΔT = (.475 mol O2)(20.775 J/mol*K)(148 C - 13.3 C) = 1329.236 J

Ratio = 1329.236 J/1860.931 J = 0.7143

How's this look? I'm not sure if the ratio is correct or not. Should be it Q/ΔEint instead?

Last edited:
Some heat is taken and the gas does work, so only a fraction of the heat is converted to internal energy (rises the temperature). You do not need even to evaluate the heat and internal energy to get this fraction, as the heat is Q=7/2 n R ΔT and ΔEint=5/2 n R ΔT, so (ΔEint)/Q =5/7 .

ehild

ehild said:
Some heat is taken and the gas does work, so only a fraction of the heat is converted to internal energy (rises the temperature). You do not need even to evaluate the heat and internal energy to get this fraction, as the heat is Q=7/2 n R ΔT and ΔEint=5/2 n R ΔT, so (ΔEint)/Q =5/7 .

ehild

Ah, yeah you are right. I guess finding ΔEint would only help reassure you of that fact to see if your calculations are correct.

On a side note though, how do you know when to use Q equation and when to use ΔEint? That's kind of tricking me up. In the question it asked "How much energy is transferred to the oxygen as heat?" Since it said heat at the end is that what gives it away to use the equation for Q? And what does it mean exactly when it says the molecules rotate but do not oscillate? Is that really useful information here?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the internal energy can be increased either by adding heat to the gas or doing work on the gas ΔEint=Q+W. The energy transferred to the gas as heat is simply Q. The energy transferred to the gas as work is W. If it is a reversible process, that is the external pressure and the internal one are in equilibrium (or very near to equilibrium) the work done on the gas is equal to the negative work of the gas (-pΔV for a constant pressure process). In this case the First Law is written as ΔEint=Q-W(gas) or Q=ΔEint+W(gas). For an equilibrium process, all equations are equivalent, you only need to take care if you use the work done by the gas or the work done on the gas by external forces.

You know that the internal energy of an ideal gas is f/2 n R T, where n is the degree of freedom. It is 3/2 for a monoatomic gas, where the particles have only translational degrees of freedom. For a diatomic molecule, there are two additional rotational degrees of freedom, and for a three-atomic one, there are 3. At higher temperatures, the vibrations of the molecule are excited. If there are N atoms in the molecule it has 3N degrees of freedom altogether. 3 belongs to the translation of the centre os mass. 3 or 2 degrees belong to the rotation. The others are vibrational degrees of freedom, but they contribute to the internal energy only at high temperatures.

ehild

DPT = Displacement of pressure theory

The idea that movement through the field of medium becomes the pressure dynamics that create form, i.e. vortexes.

What is a constant pressure process?

A constant pressure process is a thermodynamic process in which the pressure remains constant while other variables, such as volume and temperature, may change. It is commonly denoted as "P = const" on a pressure-volume diagram.

What is an example of a constant pressure process?

An example of a constant pressure process is boiling water in an open pot on a stove. The pressure remains constant at atmospheric pressure while the temperature increases as the water boils and turns into steam.

What is the equation for work done in a constant pressure process?

The equation for work done in a constant pressure process is W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the constant pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.

What is the relationship between enthalpy and heat in a constant pressure process?

In a constant pressure process, the change in enthalpy (ΔH) is equal to the amount of heat (Q) added or removed from the system. This is represented by the equation ΔH = Q.

What are some real-life applications of constant pressure processes?

Constant pressure processes have many real-life applications, including in chemical reactions, heat engines, and refrigeration systems. They are also used in industries such as food processing, pharmaceuticals, and petroleum refining.