Delocalized electron in cyclohexene?

• Thread starter chewchun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, delocalization of electrons occurs when there is a pi bond network present, as seen in benzene. However, in cyclohexene, there is only one pi bond and therefore the electrons are localized between those two carbon atoms. Having two double bonds side by side does not necessarily result in delocalization. Delocalization does not necessarily mean conductivity, so cyclohexene may not be able to conduct electricity.
chewchun
Is there any?
I was taught that for delocalization of electron to occur, pi bond must be present.
But when i did a question on it, it says that there is no delocalization on cyclohexene.

Anyone mind teaching me how and why it occur?And how to identify delocalization of electrons?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
chewchun said:
Is there any?
I was taught that for delocalization of electron to occur, pi bond must be present.
But when i did a question on it, it says that there is no delocalization on cyclohexene.

Anyone mind teaching me how and why it occur?And how to identify delocalization of electrons?

Electrons are delocalized in benzene because a pi-bond NETWORK is created (if you want to draw the resonance structure of benzene, you'll see what I mean). In cyclohexene, there is only one pi-bond and so the electrons in that pi-bond are localized between those two carbon atoms.

Einstein Mcfly said:
Electrons are delocalized in benzene because a pi-bond NETWORK is created (if you want to draw the resonance structure of benzene, you'll see what I mean). In cyclohexene, there is only one pi-bond and so the electrons in that pi-bond are localized between those two carbon atoms.
Pardon me,but if there are two double bond side by side,then will there by delocalization?
And does delocalization= conductivity (which mean cyclohexene can't conduct electricity)?

1. What is a delocalized electron in cyclohexene?

A delocalized electron in cyclohexene refers to a type of electron that is not confined to a single bond or atom, but instead is shared among multiple atoms. In the case of cyclohexene, the electrons are delocalized over the six carbon atoms in the ring structure, creating a more stable molecule.

2. How is the delocalization of electrons in cyclohexene beneficial?

The delocalization of electrons in cyclohexene provides stability to the molecule, making it less reactive. This is because the delocalized electrons are more evenly distributed, reducing the electron density on any one atom and making it less susceptible to attack by other molecules.

3. What is the difference between localized and delocalized electrons?

Localized electrons are confined to a specific bond or atom, while delocalized electrons are shared among multiple atoms. This results in a more evenly distributed electron density and greater stability for molecules with delocalized electrons.

4. How does the delocalization of electrons affect the chemical properties of cyclohexene?

The delocalization of electrons in cyclohexene makes it less reactive, as the electron density is spread out over multiple atoms. This reduces the likelihood of chemical reactions occurring, making cyclohexene a relatively stable molecule.

5. Can delocalized electrons be found in other molecules besides cyclohexene?

Yes, delocalized electrons can be found in many other molecules, such as benzene, which has a similar ring structure to cyclohexene. Other examples include conjugated systems like dienes and aromatic compounds, which also have delocalized electrons that contribute to their stability.