Is there any program I could download to display my CPU temperature?

In summary, the conversation was about a person's inability to view their CPU temperatures in Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit and their search for a program to help them do so. Two suggested programs were SpeedFan and HWMonitor. The ideal idle and load temperatures for a Core 2 Quad Q9400 CPU were also discussed, with a recommendation to check individual core temperatures and the system CPU temperature. A link to an article on how to check CPU temperature was provided.
The_Absolute
Right now, I can only view my CPU temperature in the BIOS menu. I can view my GPU temps in the ATI catalyst control center. I cannot view my CPU temperatures in windows vista home premium 64-bit.

Is there any program I could download which would allow me to view my CPU temperatures in desktop? I have a Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz @2.66GHz, 6GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM, an Intel G33 motherboard, and an ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU.

What are the ideal idle and load temperatures for my C2Q CPU?

Computer science news on Phys.org
depending on your heatsink, the idle and load temps are going to vary.

I have a Q9550 and it idles around 30deg, with max load around 40-50

I'd also recommend HWMonitor, but you'll probably notice a difference in the stated temperatures from your individual cores and from the system CPU temp. This is because the core temperatures are from onboard the chip (and to be honest, arent the most accurate thermistors; they tend to get stuck), and the system cpu temperature is actually from the motherboard (this is the temperature you'll see in the BIOS)

This article has a detailed description how to check CPU temp

http://digitalblggr.blogspot.com/2010/01/overclocking-dilemma_07.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.digitalblggr.blogspot.com

1. How can I check my CPU temperature?

There are several programs available for download that can display your CPU temperature, such as Core Temp, HWMonitor, and SpeedFan. These programs are free and can be easily found with a quick internet search.

2. Will downloading a program to display my CPU temperature harm my computer?

No, downloading a program to display your CPU temperature will not harm your computer. These programs are specifically designed to monitor your CPU temperature and do not make any changes to your system.

3. Do I need to have technical knowledge to use a program to display my CPU temperature?

Most programs that display CPU temperature have a user-friendly interface and do not require any technical knowledge to use. However, it is always recommended to read the program's instructions or user manual before use.

4. Can a program display my CPU temperature in real-time?

Yes, most programs that display CPU temperature can show the temperature in real-time. This means that you can monitor your CPU temperature as it changes while your computer is running.

5. Are there any programs that can display my CPU temperature for free?

Yes, there are many free programs available for download that can display your CPU temperature. Some popular options include Core Temp, HWMonitor, and SpeedFan. However, it is always recommended to research the program and ensure it is from a reputable source before downloading.