Form the differential Equation from the following equation

In summary, the student attempted to solve an equation, but was not able to due to a lack of familiarity with the equation. They needed help from a more experienced individual to solve the equation.
snshusat161

Homework Statement

y= a x3 + b x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two arb. constants, so I differentiated it twice. I couldn't guess what next to do. I Need your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Looks like an Euler equation to me, these can be put into the form:
[tex]
a_{1}x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+a_{2}x\frac{dy}{dx}+a_{3}y=0
[/tex]
The solutions of this are of the form:
[tex]
y=x^{n}
[/tex]
So all you have to do (as you know the values for n) is relate the values of n to the solution.

Thanks for your quick reply! But I don't know Euler equation, nor the value of n. I even don't know what actually "n" is here. After researching a bit on internet, looking some examples from my book I can only make out that we have to differentiate, add, subtract or whatever we can do to strike out those constants. Can we solve it by the method I'm trying to stat?

@hunt-mat, can you explain it more clearly

Okay, baby steps, the value of n, is either 2 or 3, these are the solutions of your soon to be derived differential equation
[tex]
y=x^{n},\quad x\frac{dy}{dx}=nx^{n},\quad x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}=n(n-1)x^{2}
[/tex]
The sum of these three terms must sum to zero:
so
[tex]
a_{1}x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+a_{2}x\frac{dy}{dx}+a_{3}y=[a_{1}n(n-1)+a_{2}n+a_{3}]x^{n}
[/tex]
This will give the quadratic in n as follows:
[tex]
a_{1}n^{2}+(a_{2}-a_{1})n+a_{3}=0
[/tex]
But you know that the solution of the above quadratic in n should be 2 and 3, the quadratic for that is (n-2)(n-3)=n^{2}-5n+6=0, so compare that with the quadratic we derived to find the a_{1}, a_{2} and a_{3}. The differential equation you will be after will be:
[tex]
a_{1}x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+a_{2}x\frac{dy}{dx }+a_{3}y=0
[/tex]

anybody here to help me solve this question with any other way, preferably with some easy method.

There is no other way really, the differential equation that you seek is an Euler equation of the form I posted, the epecific equation that you seek is:
[tex]
x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}-4x\frac{dy}{dx}+6y=0
[/tex]
The way to solve this equation, is to look for solutions of the form y=x^{n}, you substitute this into the equation and you will obtain a quadratic in n, solve this quadratic and you will note that you have two solutions, this is a linear equation so you can multiply the solution by numbers and you can add the solutions together, this is where you obtain your original function from.

1. How do you form a differential equation from a given equation?

To form a differential equation from a given equation, you need to differentiate the given equation with respect to one or more variables. This will result in an equation that includes the derivatives of the variables, which is known as a differential equation.

2. Can any equation be transformed into a differential equation?

No, not all equations can be transformed into a differential equation. Only equations that contain variables and their derivatives can be transformed into a differential equation.

3. What is the importance of forming a differential equation?

Differential equations are used to model and describe various physical phenomena and processes in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They are essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of these systems.

4. Are there different methods for forming a differential equation?

Yes, there are several methods for forming a differential equation, such as separation of variables, substitution, and the method of undetermined coefficients. The choice of method depends on the given equation and the variables involved.

5. Can a differential equation be solved to find a specific solution?

Yes, differential equations can be solved to find a specific solution. However, the process of solving a differential equation can be complex and may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques, such as integration or solving systems of equations.