Got tested for glaucoma and apparently I have high IOP values

• Medical
  • Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
In summary, the person got tested for glaucoma and was told they have high IOP values. They were informed that they need to get a Pachymetry optical test to measure the thickness of their cornea for the glaucoma test. They are wondering how this test is done and if there are any other non-invasive tests available. They also express a fear of having something inserted into their eye. They are advised to call the doctor's office to ask about the method used, with the video pachymeter being non-contact but unsure about the ultrasound method.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
So I got tested for glaucoma and apparently I have high IOP values. They tell me I have to get a Pachymetry optical test to test the thickness of my cornea to ensure the glaucoma test. How is this test done? Are there any other tests that can test the thickness of it?

(I hope none of these tests have anything sticking into my eye...I have a very irrational fear of going blind)

Biology news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
So I got tested for glaucoma and apparently I have high IOP values. They tell me I have to get a Pachymetry optical test to test the thickness of my cornea to ensure the glaucoma test. How is this test done? Are there any other tests that can test the thickness of it?

(I hope none of these tests have anything sticking into my eye...I have a very irrational fear of going blind)
Call the doctors office and ask them which method they use. The video pachymeter is non contact but I don't know about the ultra sound method.

I understand your concern about undergoing tests that involve your eyes. However, it is important to remember that these tests are necessary for accurately diagnosing and treating conditions such as glaucoma. The Pachymetry optical test is a non-invasive procedure that uses ultrasound waves to measure the thickness of the cornea. This test is commonly used to assess the risk of glaucoma, as a thinner cornea can lead to higher IOP values.

In addition to Pachymetry, there are other tests that can also measure corneal thickness, such as Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) and Corneal Topography. These tests use different techniques, such as light waves or digital mapping, to measure the thickness of the cornea. Your doctor will determine which test is most suitable for your condition.

I understand your fear of going blind, but it is important to remember that early detection and treatment of glaucoma can prevent vision loss. I encourage you to discuss any concerns or fears with your doctor, as they can provide more information about the tests and help alleviate your worries.

What is glaucoma?

Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that can damage the optic nerve and cause vision loss. It is often associated with high intraocular pressure (IOP) values, but can also occur with normal or low IOP.

What are IOP values and why are they important?

IOP, or intraocular pressure, refers to the fluid pressure inside the eye. It is important because high IOP can damage the optic nerve and lead to glaucoma. However, not everyone with high IOP will develop glaucoma, and some people with normal or low IOP can still develop the disease.

What does it mean to have high IOP values?

Having high IOP values means that the pressure inside your eye is higher than the normal range. This can be an indication of glaucoma, but further testing is needed to confirm the diagnosis.

What are the symptoms of glaucoma?

In the early stages, glaucoma may not cause any noticeable symptoms. As the disease progresses, it can cause peripheral vision loss, tunnel vision, blurred vision, and eventually complete vision loss if left untreated.

How is glaucoma treated?

Glaucoma is typically treated with eye drops, medication, or surgery to lower the IOP and prevent further damage to the optic nerve. Regular eye exams and monitoring are also important to manage the disease and prevent vision loss.