Pathlength Difference from two waves

In summary, the problem involves two slits separated by 0.12mm, located 780mm from a screen. A coherent light source with a wavelength of 549E-6 mm illuminates the slits and creates an interference pattern on the screen. The question is asking for the pathlength difference between the two waves from the slits at the first maximum on the screen. Using the equations d*sintheta = m*wavelength and sintheta = y/D, the distance between the two maxima is found to be 0.0036m. To find the pathlength difference, this distance is multiplied by the wavelength.
skibum143

Homework Statement

Two slits separated by a distance of d = 0.12mm are located at a distance of D = 780mm from a screen. The screen is oriented parallel to the plane of the slits. The slits are illuminated by a coherent light source with a wavelength of lambda = 549E-6 mm. The interference pattern shows a peak at the center of the screen (m=0) and then alternating minima and maxima.
7. [1pt]
What is the pathlength difference between the two waves from the two slits at the first (m=1) maximum on the screen?

Homework Equations

d*sintheta = m*wavelength
sintheta = y(dist bt two maxima) / D(distance to screen)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused about what the "pathlength difference" refers to. It doesn't specify it in the book. I know the angles take different paths to get to the same point because of the distance inbetween them, but is it asking for an angle?
I solved the problem for y using the above equations, and at the first maxima (m=1), y(distance between the two maxima) is 0.0036m. But I don't know where to go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
So...I think I just realized that pathlength difference refers to "m", but what are the units??

Ah, just figured it out...you have to use "m" and multiply it by the wavelength.

Related to Pathlength Difference from two waves

What is pathlength difference from two waves?

Pathlength difference from two waves is the difference in the distance traveled by two waves from their respective sources to a given point. It is an important concept in wave interference and is often used to calculate the resulting amplitude and phase of the waves at that point.

How is pathlength difference related to wave interference?

Pathlength difference plays a crucial role in determining the type of interference between two waves. If the pathlength difference is an integer multiple of the wavelength, the waves will interfere constructively and result in a higher amplitude. If the pathlength difference is a half-integer multiple of the wavelength, the waves will interfere destructively and result in a lower amplitude.

How can pathlength difference be calculated?

Pathlength difference can be calculated by finding the difference in the distance traveled by the two waves from their sources to a given point. This can be done by using the distance formula or by measuring the physical distance between the two sources and the point. The pathlength difference is typically given in units of length, such as meters or centimeters.

What is the significance of pathlength difference in sound waves?

In sound waves, pathlength difference plays a crucial role in creating phenomena such as beats and standing waves. For example, in beats, the pathlength difference between two sound waves of slightly different frequencies results in a periodic variation in amplitude. In standing waves, the pathlength difference between the incident and reflected waves determines the nodes and antinodes in the resulting wave pattern.

How does pathlength difference affect the intensity of light waves?

In light waves, pathlength difference is an important factor in determining the intensity of interference patterns such as diffraction and interference fringes. The pathlength difference between the waves affects the phase difference between them, which in turn affects the resulting intensity at a given point. This is why pathlength difference is often used to calculate the intensity of light in these situations.