Solving the Wave Equation Using Separation of Variables

In summary, Griffiths is asking about obtaining Eq. 9.20 directly from the wave equation using separation of variables. The wave equation is given as f''(z) = (1/v^2) f''(t) and they are unsure of how to separate the variables. They suggest representing f(z,t) as A sin(kz)cos(kvt) and calculating the necessary second derivatives. They also mention using the Fourier transform and Daniel asks about the boundary conditions for an electromagnetic wave, to which it is stated that there are none and the solution can be written as a Fourier series or integral.
pt176900
From Griffiths: Problem 9.4 Obtain Eq. 9.20 directly from the wave equation, by separation of variables.

Eq. 9.20: f(z,t)~ = integral [-inf, inf] A~(k)e^i(kz-wt) dk

where ~ denotes the complex conjugate

the wave equation: f''(z) = (1/v^2) f''(t)

I'm a little confused on how I can separate the variables. Can I assume that I can represent f(z,t) as A sin(kz)cos(kvt) and then calculate the aforementioned 2nd derivatives.

I think my reasoning is correct but my math... well my math isn't up to par.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to solve the the 1D linear PDE

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2} f}{\partial z^{2}}=\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2} f}{\partial t^{2}} [/tex]

with proper boundary conditions (field-type)...?

Use the Fourier transform...

Daniel.

What are the boundary conditions for an electromagnetic wave?

There are none.Simply the solution be writible as a Fourier series (discrete spectrum of frequencies),or as Fourier integral...

Daniel.

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. They are produced when an electric charge is accelerated, and can travel through a vacuum at the speed of light.

2. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes different types of waves, such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

3. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of applications in everyday life. Some common uses include communication through radio waves, cooking food with microwave radiation, producing light with visible and infrared radiation, and medical imaging with X-rays and gamma rays.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in electromagnetic waves?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional in electromagnetic waves. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: speed of light = wavelength x frequency.

5. Can electromagnetic waves be harmful to humans?

Yes, some types of electromagnetic waves can be harmful to humans. High levels of exposure to X-rays and gamma rays can damage living cells and cause health problems. However, most electromagnetic waves in the lower frequency range (such as radio waves and visible light) are not harmful to humans.