Get Step-by-Step Help with Integration for a Tricky Math Problem

• Thread starter protivakid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving the integral of (x^2dx)/(x\sqrt{x^2-1}). The person asking for help attempted to solve it by making a substitution but was unsure of how to continue. After some clarification and corrections, it was determined that the problem simplifies to \frac{x dx}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} and can be solved using a simple substitution.
protivakid
Alright so I have a math problem that I have broken down into parts and one of my parts I am having trouble with is as follows.

Homework Statement

[tex]\oint[/tex](x2dx)/(x[tex]\sqrt{x2-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve it by making z=x2-1 and dz=2xdx. From here I am just no sure how to go about breaking this part up into something I can use. Any steers into the right direction? Thanks guys, your help really is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you didn't mean to use a contour integral. Is this the equation you meant?

[tex]\int{\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}-1}}dx}[/tex] It should be a simple substitution problem as you were doing.

yes that is what I meant except outside of the [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] there is another x , that substitution is part of a much larger master problem but I have the rest figured out, I just need a helpful push into the right direction as far as solving this piece, thank you :).

I took one x out of the numerator and one out of the denominator. Are you sure what I posted isn't what you meant because that's all I did to simplify it algebraically.

Last edited:
tuche haha still any help ?

Well you have a simple integral after you do your z substitution. [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int{\frac{dz}{\sqrt{z}}dz}=?[/tex]

I think you meant

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{ \frac{dz}{dx}}{\sqrt{z}} dx[/tex].

so after putting the substitution back in I woild have 1/2[tex]\int[/tex]2x/[tex]\sqrt{x2-1}[/tex] correct?

Gib Z said:
I think you meant

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{ \frac{dz}{dx}}{\sqrt{z}} dx[/tex].
??
That is exactly the same as the
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int\frac{dz}{\sqrt{z}}[/tex]

protivakid said:
so after putting the substitution back in I woild have 1/2[tex]\int[/tex]2x/[tex]\sqrt{x2-1}[/tex] correct?
That is not what you originally posted! You originally posted
[tex]\int \frac{x^2 dx}{x\sqrt{x^2- 1}}[/tex]
Which is simply the same as
[tex]\int \frac{x dx}{\sqrt{x^2- 1}}[/tex]
because you can cancel an "x" in numerator and denominator. Now, let z= x2- 1.

HallsofIvy said:
??
That is exactly the same as the
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int\frac{dz}{\sqrt{z}}[/tex]

Yes it is, but different to:

jhicks said:
. [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int{\frac{dz}{\sqrt{z}}dz}=?[/tex]

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is the process of combining different parts or elements to form a whole. In science, integration is important because it allows us to connect various pieces of information and data to form a comprehensive understanding of a phenomenon or system.

2. How do you approach integration in your scientific research?

In scientific research, integration involves synthesizing information from various sources and disciplines to form a cohesive understanding. This can include analyzing data, connecting findings from different experiments, and incorporating theories and concepts from different fields.

3. What are some challenges in integrating different scientific disciplines?

Some challenges in integrating different scientific disciplines include differing terminology, varying methodologies and techniques, and conflicting theories or findings. It can also be difficult to find common ground and collaborate effectively when working with researchers from different fields.

4. How does integration contribute to scientific advancements?

Integration allows us to combine knowledge and insights from different disciplines, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems and phenomena. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields, as well as the development of innovative solutions to complex problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in integrating information in my scientific work?

To improve your skills in integrating information in scientific work, you can practice critically analyzing and synthesizing data and research from different sources. You can also collaborate with researchers from different disciplines and attend interdisciplinary conferences or workshops to learn from others' approaches to integration.