Motion in a Circle: Proving the Angular Frequency Equation | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the equations of motion for an object moving counterclockwise in a circle at constant speed, given the angular frequency. The equations \ddot{x} + \omega^2 x = 0 and \ddot{y} + \omega^2 y = 0 were shown to hold true for all values of time, not just at t = 0. This was demonstrated by expressing x and y in terms of polar coordinates and taking the second derivatives, which yielded equations of the form x'' = -ω2x and y'' = -ω2y. This proved the second statement to be true.
Stochastic13

Homework Statement

An object is moving counterclockwise in a circle of
radius r at constant speed v. The center of the cir-
cle is at the origin of rectangular coordinates (x, y),
and at t = 0 the particle is at (r, 0). If the “angular
frequency” is given by ω = v/r, show that

[tex]\ddot{}x[/tex] + ω2 r = 0 and y'' + ω2 r = 0

Homework Equations

ω = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

If particle is at (r,0) then r = x
we know: ar = v2/r = ω2 r
since velocity is constant ar = 0
so x'' has to equal 0 thus x'' + ω2 r = 0
the same argument can be applied to y'' + ω2 r = 0
proving the second statement.

Is this correct? Is there a better way of showing the two statements are true?

Sorry for using '' instead of like I did on the first x + ωr = 0 since they rarely work

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stochastic13 said:
since velocity is constant ar = 0

Wrong. Velocity is not constant. Speed is constant, but the velocity is changing, because its direction is continuously changing.

The fact that the speed is constant means there is no tangential acceleration (at). But there is certainly non-zero radial or centripetal acceleration (ar). Circular motion requires it.

Stochastic13 said:
so x'' has to equal 0 thus x'' + ω2 r = 0
the same argument can be applied to y'' + ω2 r = 0
proving the second statement.

This argument doesn't make sense at all. Even if ω2r were 0 (it's not by the way), how does that imply that x'' has to be zero? (It's not either, by the way). Think for a second. Does the projected motion in the x-direction ever change speed? Absolutely. In fact, it's simple harmonic oscillation, which is what you are trying to prove by solving this problem.

Stochastic13 said:
Is there a better way of showing the two statements are true?

Try expressing x and y in terms of polar coordinates (which describe circular motion more naturally).

Stochastic13 said:
Sorry for using '' instead of like I did on the first x + ωr = 0 since they rarely work

Try this (click the equation image to see the LaTeX code for it):

[tex] \ddot{x} + \omega^2 x = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
So, should I use x = r cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) and y = r sin([tex]\theta[/tex])?

Stochastic13 said:
So, should I use x = r cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) and y = r sin([tex]\theta[/tex])?

Yes. Now, for constant angular speed, what is the expression for theta as a function of time? Note that theta = 0 at t = 0.

the expression for [tex]\theta[/tex] as a function of time is ωr
so i take a second derivative of x = r cos(ωr) and y = r sin(ωr)
and get: x'' = ω^2 r cos(ωr) and y'' = - ω^2 r sin(ωr)
so at t = 0 at 0 or 2n*pi: we get x'' = ω^2 which is the same as x'' + ω^2 = 0
but wouldn't y'' = 0 since sin(ωr) = 0 at 0 and 2*pi? If so I didn't prove the second condition.
Am I on the right track? Thanks.

Stochastic13 said:
the expression for [tex]\theta[/tex] as a function of time is ωr

No.

ω is the angular speed. It is the rate of rotation in radians/s. Given the (constant) rate of rotation with time, how do you figure out the total amount of rotation in radians in a given time interval?

In other words, given the angular speed, how do you figure out the angular displacement after a certain amount of time?

The units have to work out.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant to write ωt instead or ωr, but I still have the same problem when I take a second derivative of x = r cos(ωt) and y = r sin(ωt) and get: x'' = ω^2 r cos(ωt) and y'' = - ω^2 r sin(ωt) so at t = 0 : we get x'' = ω^2 which is the same as x'' + ω^2 = 0 but wouldn't y'' = 0 since sin(ωt) = 0 at t = 0? If so I didn't prove the second condition.

Stochastic13 said:
Sorry I meant to write ωt instead or ωr, but I still have the same problem when I take a second derivative of x = r cos(ωt) and y = r sin(ωt) and get: x'' = ω^2 r cos(ωt) and y'' = - ω^2 r sin(ωt) so at t = 0 : we get x'' = ω^2 which is the same as x'' + ω^2 = 0 but wouldn't y'' = 0 since sin(ωt) = 0 at t = 0? If so I didn't prove the second condition.

Why are you evaluating things at t = 0 specifically? Both [itex] \ddot{x} [/itex] and [itex] \ddot{y} [/itex] are functions of time. The point is that the equations you are deriving hold true for ALL t. Sure, at some points in time, the second derivatives happen to be equal to zero. So what? This is a necessary part of simple harmonic motion.

Once you have the result that x'' = -ω2rcos(ωt), the thing you are supposed to do is to notice that on the right hand side of the equation, rcos(ωt) is just equal to the function itself, x(t). Therefore, the equation becomes:

x'' = -ω2x

Similarly, on the right hand of the y equation, the factor rsin(ωt) is just equal to the function y(t) itself. Therefore, this equation becomes:

y'' = -ω2y

Done.

Wow thanks for your help, it was very helpful. I just don't get this rotation thing, now I think I do, but before, no. I'm not that slow usually, and actually have had no problems solving equations using Newtons Laws, but this rotation is hard for me to grasp for some reason.

1. What is motion in a circle?

Motion in a circle refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. It is a type of rotational motion where the object moves at a constant speed around a fixed point.

2. What is the angular frequency equation?

The angular frequency equation is ω = 2πf, where ω is the angular frequency in radians per second, and f is the frequency in hertz. This equation represents the relationship between the angular frequency and the linear frequency of an object in circular motion.

3. How is the angular frequency equation derived?

The angular frequency equation can be derived using the formula for angular velocity, ω = Δθ/Δt, where Δθ is the change in angle and Δt is the change in time. By substituting the period T for Δt and the angle of one complete revolution 2π for Δθ, we get ω = 2π/T. Since f = 1/T, we can rewrite this as ω = 2πf.

4. What is the relationship between angular frequency and linear velocity?

The relationship between angular frequency and linear velocity can be expressed as v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular frequency. This equation shows that the linear velocity is directly proportional to the angular frequency and the radius of the circle.

5. How is the angular frequency equation used in real-life applications?

The angular frequency equation is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of rotating machinery, the analysis of circular motion in sports, and the study of waves and oscillations. It is also used in fields like astronomy, where it helps calculate the orbital frequency of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.