Discover the World of Robotics and Engineering: Tips for Beginners in Korea

• Thread starter jandkas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the speaker is interested in robotics and engineering but does not have access to cheap scrap metal. They plan to join an engineering club at their school and are looking for a book to learn more about the topic. Another person suggests starting with a simple robotics kit and reminds the speaker that they don't need to be an expert right away.
jandkas
Hello, I am interested in robotics and engineering but since I live in a place like korea, I don't have a garage or access to cheap scrap metal. I am going to join the engineering club at my school. I want to pick up a book something like engineering 101 or robotics for dummies, but I couldn't find it. Could someone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums! It's good to see that you have so much enthusiasm about Engineering!
Personally, I learn a bit better when I do a hands-on approach rather than reading a "for dummies" book. I suggest picking up a small kit for robotics, something very simple to start with.
http://www.solarbotics.com/product/k_ss/

This looks like a good choice for a new student and is cheap. keep in mind that this is a very simple solar-powered cart that just moves forward, but it will teach you a lot about how to make a simple machine.
Just because you're a mechanical engineer, it doesn't mean you have to own a machine-shop and make carbon-fiber quadrotors right out of the gate. Give it some time! :wink:

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes to solve real-world problems.

2. What types of engineering are there?

There are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area and has its own unique applications and challenges.

3. What skills do I need to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you will need strong math and science skills, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work well in teams. Good communication skills and creativity are also valuable in the field of engineering.

4. What education is required to become an engineer?

Most engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a graduate degree. It is important to research the specific education requirements for the type of engineering you are interested in pursuing.

5. What career opportunities are available for engineers?

Engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, healthcare, and technology. Some common career paths for engineers include design, research and development, project management, and consulting.