Is learning a second language useful for graduate students in science?

In summary: Not all grad schools have the requirement, but many do. Also, it is much less daunting than it seems. Typically you're given a (language)-English dictionary during your exam. For most, it is not something to stress about.
a^6
Alright i need to take a language to fulfill the gen ed requirement, just wondering what people think. I could take Spanish and without much effort go through it, leaving time to study my science classes. Or i could devote some effort to learning a language i am unfamiliar with, ideas for which new ones are between german and french. I could see that german would be useful for understanding german publications, same for french... however there is so much software now that takes different publications and produces them in a language such as english...

Anyone in the field find learning a certain language like german useful? i know math and physics over there is elite...

anyone have experience with something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you are thinking of going to grad school, something to keep in mind is that most have a foreign language requirement that consists of being able to translate a paper in french, german, or russian (note usually not spanish).

To answer your question, working knowledge of one of these languages would definitely be useful, but I'm not sure a would sacrifice a science class, or time spent on a science class, for it at this time.

yeah that is why i was considering french or german, not going to bother attempting the difficulty of russian as i hear it is extremely time consuming. But exactly those 2 for the phd qualifier...i know i could probably learn them on my own time, but its either i learn one in my 2nd year of undergrad or just take spanish and save the time for working on my more advanced sciences...only to pick up german or french at a later time if my qualifier requires a publishing translation...hmmm

blerg said:
Well if you are thinking of going to grad school, something to keep in mind is that most have a foreign language requirement that consists of being able to translate a paper in french, german, or russian (note usually not spanish).
Really? I'm in grad school now and I never heard so much as a peep about any language requirement. (And yes, I have read the entire grad program manual :wink:) It seems a little unbelievable to me, since I learned German as an undergrad, well enough to spend a month in Germany (well, okay, everyone there speaks English :frown: never mind that!) but I still haven't been able to properly read, much less translate, a scientific paper in German. It would have taken me considerably more time studying the language to learn the specialized vocabulary that scientists use.

diazona said:
Really? I'm in grad school now and I never heard so much as a peep about any language requirement. (And yes, I have read the entire grad program manual :wink:) It seems a little unbelievable to me, since I learned German as an undergrad, well enough to spend a month in Germany (well, okay, everyone there speaks English :frown: never mind that!) but I still haven't been able to properly read, much less translate, a scientific paper in German. It would have taken me considerably more time studying the language to learn the specialized vocabulary that scientists use.

Not all grad schools have the requirement, but many do. Also, it is much less daunting than it seems. Typically you're given a (language)-English dictionary during your exam. For most, it is not something to stress about.

I would say if you are able to learn french or german without it interfering seriously with your major, you won't regret it. Otherwise, do the spanish and worry about the others later.

1. What is a "Language general ed. req."?

A "Language general ed. req." refers to a general education requirement in a college or university that requires students to take courses in a foreign language or in their native language. These courses are meant to provide students with a basic understanding of language and communication, as well as exposure to different cultures.

2. Why is a "Language general ed. req." important?

A "Language general ed. req." is important because it helps students develop critical thinking, communication, and cultural competency skills. It also allows students to develop a deeper understanding of their own language and culture, as well as those of others. In today's globalized world, being able to communicate and understand different languages is becoming increasingly important in both personal and professional settings.

3. Do all colleges and universities have a "Language general ed. req."?

No, not all colleges and universities have a "Language general ed. req." However, many institutions recognize the importance of language education and have made it a requirement for all students, while others may offer it as an elective or optional course. It is important to check with your specific institution to see if they have a language requirement.

4. Can I fulfill the "Language general ed. req." with courses in my native language?

It depends on the institution and their specific requirements. Some colleges and universities may allow students to fulfill the language requirement with courses in their native language, while others may only accept courses in a foreign language. It is best to check with your institution to see what their specific requirements are.

5. Can I test out of the "Language general ed. req."?

Again, this varies by institution. Some colleges and universities may offer placement exams or proficiency tests that allow students to test out of the language requirement. However, this may not be an option for all institutions. It is best to check with your specific institution to see if this is a possibility.