Relatively basic introduction to what win32 is

In summary, win32 is the Windows API (application programming interfaces) used for developing 32-bit applications and allows them to interface with the Windows operating system. It is often used as a shortened term for the Windows 32 bit operating system, such as Windows 95 and on.
ehrenfest
Could someone give me a relatively basic introduction to what win32 is or link me to a site that does the same?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could you be more specific? Do you mean the 32 bit windows operating system? Some file with that name (there are lots with variations of it)? What exactly do you want to know and why?

ehrenfest said:
Could someone give me a relatively basic introduction to what win32 is or link me to a site that does the same?

Thanks.
It's the Windows API (application programming interfaces) for developing 32-bit applications.

It allows applications to interface with the windows operating system.

Art said:
It's the Windows API (application programming interfaces) for developing 32-bit applications.

It allows applications to interface with the windows operating system.
yea that's if you're talking about the win32 api

win32 is just short for saying Windows 32 bit operating system... as in Windows 95 and on.

werd.

and yes I saw that google had Windows API as the first link when searching "win32". ;)

Related to Relatively basic introduction to what win32 is

What is Win32?

Win32 is a programming interface (API) that allows software developers to create applications for the Windows operating system. It provides a set of functions and data structures that allow applications to interact with the operating system and perform tasks such as creating windows, handling user input, and managing files and processes.

How is Win32 different from other programming interfaces?

Win32 is specific to the Windows operating system, so it cannot be used to create applications for other operating systems. It also has a different structure and syntax than other programming interfaces, such as POSIX for Unix-based systems. However, many programming languages have libraries or wrappers that allow developers to use Win32 functions in their code.

Who can use Win32?

Anyone with knowledge of programming languages such as C or C++ can use Win32 to create applications for Windows. However, it does require a deeper understanding of the Windows operating system and its architecture, as well as the ability to use the Win32 API effectively.

What are some common tasks that can be performed using Win32?

Win32 allows developers to create graphical user interfaces, handle user input, manage files and directories, and control system processes, among other tasks. It also provides access to system resources such as memory, devices, and network connections.

Is Win32 still relevant in modern software development?

Yes, Win32 is still widely used in modern software development, particularly for developing desktop applications for Windows. While newer technologies such as .NET and UWP have been introduced, many developers still prefer to use Win32 for its flexibility and compatibility with older versions of Windows.