Recommendation of a textbook about Introduction to Physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking recommendations for a textbook on Introduction to Physics at the college level. They mention their previous experience with Calculus and their professor's recommendation of a theoretical book. They express a desire for a textbook that is both theoretical and practical. Several commonly-used textbooks for introductory calculus-based university physics courses are suggested, including Halliday / Resnick / Walker Fundamentals of Physics and Young / Freedman University Physics. The Feynman Lectures on Physics are also mentioned, but it is noted that it may not be helpful in solving homework problems. The person thanking everyone for their help and recommendations.
Savian
Can someone recommend me a textbook about Introduction to Physics (college level)? I would thank a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which part of Physics? Mechanics, E&M, Waves, Basic Quantum, etc.? Or all of that? Have you had calculus yet?

Likes Savian
Hey there, Berkeman!
I had Calculus last semester but I repeated by healthcare questions. About the Intro Physics, it's the beggining. My professor passed me Eudoxus to Einstein, but it's a theoritical book. I would like a book 50% theoritical and 50% practical. I confess I didn't like a lot the book, it doesn't combine with me, although I have passed in the subject. The book pleased me little, so I wanted a book that was both practical and didactic

In the US, there are several commonly-used textbooks for introductory calculus-based university physics courses. Two that come to my mind immediately are Halliday / Resnick / Walker Fundamentals of Physics, and Young / Freedman University Physics. If you look them up on Amazon, you will get links to other similar textbooks. They're mostly very similar in content, and the choice between them comes down basically to the course instructor's personal preference.

Likes Savian
The Feynman Lectures on Physics are an old favorite. IMO, it is a very interesting approach. However, be forewarned, it isn't that helpful in actually solving homework problems. Everyone likes it (Physicists, anyway), but virtually no universities select it as their introductory textbook for that reason.

Likes Savian
Thanks a lot all folks, and thank you for helped me.

1. What is the best textbook for an introduction to physics?

The best textbook for an introduction to physics is subjective and depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. However, some popular options include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma.

2. What topics should be covered in an introductory physics textbook?

An introductory physics textbook should cover fundamental topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. It should also include examples and applications to real-world situations to help students understand the concepts better.

3. Are there any online resources for an introduction to physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for an introduction to physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources offer lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help students learn physics concepts.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background for an introduction to physics?

Having a strong math background is helpful but not necessary for an introduction to physics. Basic algebra and trigonometry are usually sufficient for understanding the concepts. However, a strong foundation in math can make it easier to grasp more complex physics topics.

5. How can I choose the right textbook for my learning needs?

To choose the right textbook for your learning needs, consider your learning style, the level of detail you prefer, and the topics covered in the textbook. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or fellow students who have taken an introductory physics course.