Solving Wave-Related Trouble in Physics

• Thread starter Great_White
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of standing waves in a guitar string and determining the correct graph that represents the fundamental mode. The options include a. 3, b. 1 and 2, c. 2 and 3, and d. only 1. The correct answer is debated, with some arguing for b and c, and others suggesting that the first graph is incorrect. The conversation also touches on the definition of wavelength and its measurement in meters.
Great_White
Hello,

I've been working out this question but I'm not sure about the answer. It relates to waves, which is something I've yet to deal with in school. It says:

When you disturb a guitar string you'll create a standing wave in its fundamental sound. Three students draw the shape of the string and different instances, as shown by the graph(...see attachment?), admitting that the string vibrates in its fundamental sound (...fundamental frequency?).

Out of these figures, the correct one is...

a. 3, because nodes are formed at the ends of the string
b. 1 and 2, because the represent the initial wave and its reflection
c. 2 and 3, because the fulfill the conditions of the fundamental mode
d. only 1, because it's the only one that shows a complete wavelength

(I just translated this --no quick-translator, mind you-- so pardon me if some terms are a bit off --I did research some, like standing wave and wavelength, though...)

Now, after doing some research on the net and reading my Wilson's physics for a bit, I had come to the conclusion that you can't appreciate a complete wavelength on the firs graph... I though wavelength was the distance between two antinodes, but alas, it seems it isn't... I've found somewhere else that wavelength is actually node-to-node. What's the correct form? :confused:

a. doesn't mean anything . That leaves b and c (and... d?). Since a guitar string can have various harmonics, both would be partially correct... however, I've come to the conclusion that the first graph is incorrect! It's not a complete harmonic (it should look like two horizontal ovals, right?). That'd leave c, right? I'm not too sure, and that's why I'm asking :smile:

So, I'd appreciate if you folks could help me. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Great_White said:
I though wavelength was the distance between two antinodes, but alas, it seems it isn't... I've found somewhere else that wavelength is actually node-to-node. What's the correct form?

I don't think this really matters. According to http://www.wave-guide.org/archives/waveguide_3/glossary.html, a wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a sinusoidal wave that are in phase; measured in meters.e

edit: BTW, your attachment is nowhere to be seen.

Last edited:
OH c'mon! Gimme a couple of minutes to find the image...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/beto2/wave.bmp
that should help...

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, recon, the "OH c'mon" thing wasn't directed at you, it was annoyance toward the non-working attachment...

(thought I'd clarify...)

The top picture, to me, looks like 2f of the middle picture. I would venture to say that it is 1 and 2 because the two show the first and second modes of the natural frequency.

1. What are some common wave-related problems in physics?

Some common wave-related problems in physics include diffraction, refraction, reflection, interference, and resonance. These phenomena can cause difficulties in understanding and predicting the behavior of waves in various mediums.

2. How can diffraction and refraction be solved?

Diffraction and refraction can be solved by using mathematical equations and principles, such as Snell's law, to calculate the angles and wavelengths of the waves as they pass through different mediums. Additionally, experimentation and observation can help to further understand these phenomena.

3. What is the difference between reflection and interference?

Reflection occurs when a wave bounces off a surface, while interference occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. Reflection results in a change in direction, while interference can result in amplification or cancellation of the waves' amplitudes.

4. How does resonance affect waves?

Resonance occurs when a wave's frequency matches the natural frequency of an object, causing the object to vibrate at a larger amplitude. This can lead to amplification and can be seen in musical instruments and buildings during earthquakes.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding wave-related trouble in physics?

Understanding wave-related trouble in physics is crucial in many fields, including acoustics, optics, and engineering. It is used in the design of musical instruments, medical imaging technology, and communication systems. Additionally, understanding wave behavior can help predict and mitigate natural disasters, such as tsunamis and earthquakes.