Converting Measurements for Paint: A Unit Conversion Challenge

• Thread starter warnexus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the problem asks for the volume of a cylindrical container that is 40 cm in diameter and 60 cm in height. The problem does not provide an equation for f^2 or m^2/L. The student has to convert ft to m, then m to cm, and finally convert cm to liters.
warnexus

Homework Statement

paint.png

Homework Equations

1 Liter is 1000cm^3
1 foot is .3048m
centi is 10^-2

The Attempt at a Solution

convert ft to m
400ft * .3048m/1ft = 121.92m
convert m to cm
121.92m is 12192 cm
12192 cm is 12.192 Liter
1 gal = 3.78541 L

I look at the appendix but there is no equation for f^2 or m^2/L. Need help. =]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have units of ft^2/gallon and you need to convert to m^2/L.

You have already done the ft to m conversion, now you need to do gallons to litres.

Nytik said:
You have units of ft^2/gallon and you need to convert to m^2/L.

You have already done the ft to m conversion, now you need to do gallons to litres.

There's got to be a way in a physics problem. Here's a picture of the problem. =]

Sorry, I think I ninja-edited while you were quoting (perhaps). Read it now and it should be fine.

Nytik said:
Sorry, I think I ninja-edited while you were quoting (perhaps). Read it now and it should be fine.

400ft^2/1 gal * .3048m/1ft = 121.92m^2/1 gal

121.92m^2/gal * 1 gal/3.78541 Liter = 121.92m^2/3.78541 Liter. Now divide 121.92/3.78541 Liter to turn it into 1 liters and you get 32.2 m^2/ 1 Liter.

Not quite, remember it's ft^2 and m^2 so you have to do that conversion twice.

oh boy. let's see. i think I found the problem. here's the fixed conversion!

400ft^2/ 1 gal * .3048m/1ft = 400 ft/1gal * .3048 m * .3048m/1ft * 1 gal/3.7854L = (400)(.3048m)(.3048m)/(3.7854L) = 37.161216m^2/3.78541 L. To make it one liter it would be 9.8169 m^2/1 L

Looks good to me. If that isn't working then double-check where you got the gallon-litre conversion; I know that a US gallon is different to a UK gallon and I don't know which countries use MasteringPhysics either!

whew that was a lot of work! i forgot to round but its 9.82m^2/1 Liter. I got the gallon to liter conversion from google so it could be U.S and i got it correct. Thanks for the guidance! This problem sure stressed me out! =]

What is unit conversion and why is it important for the paint problem?

Unit conversion is the process of converting a measurement from one unit to another. In the context of the paint problem, it is important because different units of measurement may be used for the same quantity (e.g. gallons and liters), and proper conversion is necessary to ensure accurate calculations.

How do I convert between different units of measurement?

To convert between different units of measurement, you can use a conversion factor. This is a number that relates the two units and allows you to multiply or divide to convert from one to the other. For example, to convert from gallons to liters, you can use the conversion factor 3.785 (1 gallon = 3.785 liters).

What is the formula for calculating the amount of paint needed?

The formula for calculating the amount of paint needed is: (area to be painted) / (coverage per unit) = number of units of paint needed. For example, if you have a wall that is 100 square feet and your paint can covers 200 square feet per gallon, you would need 0.5 gallons of paint.

Can I use any unit of measurement for the paint problem?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as you convert between them properly. However, it is recommended to use units that are commonly used in the paint industry, such as square feet for area and gallons for volume, to make calculations easier.

Are there any online tools or apps that can help with unit conversion for the paint problem?

Yes, there are many online tools and apps that can help with unit conversion for the paint problem. Some popular ones include UnitConverters.net, ConvertUnits.com, and the Unit Conversion Tool on the Paint Quality Institute's website. These tools allow you to easily convert between different units of measurement and can save time and reduce errors in calculations.