The Physics of Friction: Why Rough Wood Has More Friction

In summary, the amount of friction between an object and a surface depends on the contact between the two. Smooth wood, with more contact, will have more friction than rough wood with less contact. This is because the tiny sticky-up bits on rough wood get pushed out of the way and waste energy, while smooth wood has fewer or smaller sticky-up bits and wastes less energy. However, if there is significant plastic deformation, the amount of friction may not depend on the contact area. It is difficult to measure and has poor repeatability, making it challenging to determine the exact coefficient for wood.
ShootingStars
in my mind i am thinking

smooth wood - more contact between object and surface - more friction
rough wood - less contact b/t object and surface - less friction

can someone explain why this is wrong; why rough wood has more friction?
i know rough wood WOULD have more friction but need to know why...

btw i am in physics 11, so please do not explain in terms i can't understand >_<

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ShootingStars! :smile:

I'd say the rough wood has more sticky-up bits, and they get pushed out of the way like tiny springs, and bounce back, and that is inefficient and wastes energy …

smooth wood has fewer or smaller sticky-up bits, and so less energy is wasted. :wink:

If you don't get into serious plastic deformation, fricrion is almost independent of contact area. Can you provide any data about your question? The coefficient for wood is usually difficult to measure and has poor repeatability.

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of objects when they are in contact with each other.

2. How is friction caused?

Friction is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects, which create resistance when they rub against each other.

3. Why does rough wood have more friction?

Rough wood has more friction because its surface has more irregularities, which create more points of contact and thus more resistance when it comes in contact with another surface.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction affects motion by slowing down or stopping the movement of objects. It also causes energy to be converted into heat, which can further slow down the motion of objects.

5. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces that have fewer irregularities. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force that occurs whenever two objects are in contact with each other.