Friction between a mass and a conveyor belt (ENGAA 2017)

In summary: So, in general, you can't assume maximum when you know it is slipping. It is, of course, at maximum static friction if it is just about to slip. In summary, the question is asking about the maximum frictional force on a suitcase that is being pulled up a rough plane. The correct answer is 'B', or 'mgsin(Θ)', because the suitcase is not in limiting equilibrium and the frictional force must match the force due to gravity resolved down the plane. The object is at maximum static friction just before it slips, but when it is slipping the friction is kinetic and tends to be less than the maximum static friction.
TomK
Homework Statement
ENGAA 2017 - Question 50
Relevant Equations
F ≤ μR
Please scroll-down to Q50: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engineering_s1_qp_2017.pdf

The correct answer is 'B', or 'mgsin(Θ)'. I put 'E', or 'μmgcos(Θ)'.

There are unofficial worked solutions which I have been referring to when I have attempted the question and don't understand the correct answer: http://www.engineeringadmissionsassessment.com/2017-solutions.html

This is what the worked solution states:
"Recall that frictional forces increase to match any opposing forces up to a maximum (which has not been achieved in this scenario).
The suitcase is not in limiting equilibrium so the frictional force up the plane must equal the force due to gravity resolved down the plane so the force is mgsinθ."

I am having trouble understanding when an object is in limiting equilibrium. How do you know when friction is at its maximum, when the object is on a moving, rough surface like a conveyor belt? Is it just because the question states "the suitcase does not slip"? Would I be right in saying that there is maximum friction when an object slips?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the surfaces slide over each other it is kinetic friction, which is generally a bit less than maximum static friction.
If the surfaces are not sliding, you can only assume the frictional force is at maximum if you are told something to indicate it, like "about to slip".
In the question you attach, there is enough information to answer B without having to consider if it is at max. They even tell you, redundantly, that it is not.

Moderator's note: For homework questions is is preferable to include the text of a problem statement directly rather than post a link to a off-site sored file that could disappear at any time. If the file disappears for some reason, the thread becomes useless. It is also a courtesy to others to not require them to download a large PDF file in order to see the question.

So, for example, here's a "snip" of the question from the PDF:

1607289402117.png

Likes jbriggs444
haruspex said:
When the surfaces slide over each other it is kinetic friction, which is generally a bit less than maximum static friction.
If the surfaces are not sliding, you can only assume the frictional force is at maximum if you are told something to indicate it, like "about to slip".
In the question you attach, there is enough information to answer B without having to consider if it is at max. They even tell you, redundantly, that it is not.

Did I answer my own question in the final paragraph of my post? If so, I think that's all I needed to know for this problem. I believe it makes sense to me now.

Last edited:
TomK said:
Homework Statement:: ENGAA 2017 - Question 50
Relevant Equations:: F ≤ μR

Would I be right in saying that there is maximum friction when an object slips?
Not quite. As I wrote, once it is slipping the friction is kinetic, which tends to be a bit less than the max static friction. The maximum frictional force is just before it slips.

1. What is friction and how does it affect the movement of a mass on a conveyor belt?

Friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other. In the case of a mass on a conveyor belt, friction can either help or hinder the movement of the mass. If the friction between the mass and the conveyor belt is high, it will require more force to move the mass. On the other hand, if the friction is low, the mass will move more easily.

2. How is the friction between a mass and a conveyor belt measured?

The friction between a mass and a conveyor belt can be measured using a device called a tribometer. This device measures the coefficient of friction, which is the ratio of the force required to move the mass to the force pressing the mass against the conveyor belt.

3. What factors can affect the friction between a mass and a conveyor belt?

There are several factors that can affect the friction between a mass and a conveyor belt. These include the type of material the conveyor belt is made of, the surface texture of the conveyor belt, the weight and shape of the mass, and the speed at which the conveyor belt is moving.

4. How can the friction between a mass and a conveyor belt be reduced?

To reduce the friction between a mass and a conveyor belt, there are a few possible solutions. One option is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery surface between the mass and the conveyor belt. Another option is to use a conveyor belt with a smoother surface or to adjust the speed of the conveyor belt to reduce the amount of friction.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the friction between a mass and a conveyor belt?

Understanding the friction between a mass and a conveyor belt has many practical applications. It can help engineers design more efficient conveyor systems, improve the performance of machinery that relies on conveyor belts, and prevent wear and tear on both the conveyor belt and the mass being transported. It can also be useful in industries such as manufacturing, agriculture, and transportation where conveyor belts are commonly used.