Vector Calculus Identities: Proving v · ∇v = ∇(0.5v2 + c × v)

In summary, by using the rules for vector calculus, it is shown that v · ∇v = ∇(0.5v2 + c × v) where c=∇ × v. This is done by replacing A and B with v in the equation ∇(A · B)= B · ∇A + A · ∇B + B×(∇×A) + A×(∇×B) and using the fact that A×B = - B×A. This result is confirmed by the conversation between the two speakers.
MaxManus

Homework Statement

Show that v[tex]\nabla[/tex]v = [tex]\nabla[/tex]xvxv
v · ∇v = ∇(0.5v2 + c × v

c=∇ × v

My attempt
∇(A · B)= B · ∇A + A · ∇B + B×(∇×A) + A×(∇×B)

Replace A and B with V

∇(v · v)= v · ∇v + v · ∇v + v×(∇×v) + v×(∇×v)

v · ∇v = ∇(0.5v2 - v×(∇×v)

Is v×(∇×v) = =∇ × v × v?
And am I on the right track?

I can't fint such a rule in my textbook

Physics news on Phys.org
doesn't vxv = 0?

MaxManus said:

Homework Statement

Show that v[tex]\nabla[/tex]v = [tex]\nabla[/tex]xvxv
v · ∇v = ∇(0.5v2 + c × v

c=∇ × v

What you've written doesn't make much sense...Do you mean [itex]v\matbf{\nabla}v=(\mathbf{\nabla}\times \textbf{v})\times\textbf{v}+(\textbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{\nabla})\textbf{v}[/itex] ?
My attempt
∇(A · B)= B · ∇A + A · ∇B + B×(∇×A) + A×(∇×B)

Replace A and B with V

∇(v · v)= v · ∇v + v · ∇v + v×(∇×v) + v×(∇×v)

v · ∇v = ∇(0.5v2 - v×(∇×v)

Is v×(∇×v) = =∇ × v × v?
And am I on the right track?

I can't fint such a rule in my textbook

Well, [itex]\textbf{a}\times\textbf{b}=-\textbf{b}\times\textbf{a}[/itex], so you tell us whether or not [itex](\mathbf{\nabla}\times \textbf{v})\times\textbf{v}=\textbf{v}\times(\mathbf{\nabla}\times \textbf{v})[/itex]:wink:

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you.
The first line is wrong

I was suppose to show that
v · [tex]\nabla[/tex]v = ∇[tex]\nabla[/tex](0.5v2) + c × v

c=∇[tex]\nabla[/tex]× v.
I then usend
∇[tex]\nabla[/tex](A · B)=B · [tex]\nabla[/tex]A + A · [tex]\nabla[/tex]B + B×([tex]\nabla[/tex]×A) + A×([tex]\nabla[/tex]×B)

Replaced A and B with v

And got

v[tex]\nabla[/tex]v = [tex]\nabla[/tex](0.5v2) - v×([tex]\nabla[/tex]×v)

Using A×B = - B×A

- v×([tex]\nabla[/tex]×v) = ([tex]\nabla[/tex]×vv

And I have:

v · [tex]\nabla[/tex]v = ∇[tex]\nabla[/tex](0.5v2) + c × v

c=∇[tex]\nabla[/tex]× v.

Am I right?

Thanks again for all the help

Looks good to me:smile:

Thanks.

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to every point in a given space. It involves the study of differentiation and integration of vector fields, as well as the use of mathematical tools such as gradient, divergence, and curl to analyze these fields.

2. What are some common identities in vector calculus?

Some common identities in vector calculus include the gradient, divergence, and curl identities, which relate these mathematical operators to each other. These identities are used to simplify and solve problems involving vector fields.

3. How is vector calculus used in physics?

Vector calculus is used extensively in physics to describe and analyze physical phenomena that involve vector quantities, such as force, velocity, and electric and magnetic fields. It is particularly important in the fields of mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

4. Can vector calculus be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, vector calculus is used in a wide range of real-world problems, including engineering, computer graphics, and economics. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving motion, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or the flow of fluids in a pipe.

5. What are some resources for learning vector calculus?

There are many resources available for learning vector calculus, including textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures. Some recommended textbooks include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, and "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms" by John Hubbard and Barbara Burke Hubbard. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free tutorials and courses on vector calculus.