Powering op-amp with 9v battery

In summary, to power an LM358 op amp and get it to work, you need to connect the V+ to +9V and GND to the '-' terminal of the battery. You also need to make a reference voltage, usually 4.5 volts, which becomes the equivalent to a 0 volt reference in a dual supply circuit. You might add a 0.1 microfarad capacitor between the 4.5 volts and ground points.
nheugel
I need to power an op amp and my only power supply availible is a 9-v battery, the goal is for the device to be portable. I need to feed into the + and - sides of the op-amp. Would I connect the positive terminal to one end and the negative terminal to the other or is there some other set up I should be using to input the + and - voltages?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have very little experience with op-amps, so its not that easy to answer your question. What type of op-amp are you using? I would suggest an LM358 (dual) or LM324 (quad) single supply op-amp as a readily available inexpensive choice.

Lets say you are using an LM358. (see http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM358.html#Diagrams ) In such a case, you connect the V+ to +9V and GND to the '-' terminal of the battery. The tricky part comes when you try and copy sample circuits, like an inverting ampflifier. You need to make a reference voltage, basically 4.5 volts, which becomes the equivalent to a 0 volt reference in a dual supply circuit. Usually you woul dtake a couple of 1K resistors in series between 9 volts and ground (GND or battery '-'). The point where the two resistors connect to each other will be 4.5 volts. You might add a 0.1 microfared capacitor between the 4.5 volts and ground points. This will work ok if all the other resistors are high values like 330K.

Anyhow, best thing is to snoop around the National Semiconductor (or TI or whoever) website and look at LM358 or LM324 Applications Notes (see http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM358.html#Documents or http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM124.pdf )

Make sure you buy spare op amps and other parts because you'll probably fry a couple.
Good luck & have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic circuit component commonly used in analog circuits for amplification and signal processing.

Can I power an op-amp with a 9v battery?

Yes, most op-amps can be powered with a 9v battery as long as the voltage is within the recommended operating range of the op-amp. However, it is important to check the datasheet of the specific op-amp you are using to ensure compatibility.

What happens if I use a higher voltage battery to power the op-amp?

If a higher voltage battery is used, it can damage the op-amp and potentially other components in the circuit. It is important to always use the correct voltage for the op-amp to ensure proper functioning and prevent damage.

Can I use a rechargeable 9v battery to power the op-amp?

Yes, rechargeable 9v batteries can be used to power an op-amp. However, they typically have a lower voltage output than non-rechargeable batteries, so it is important to check the voltage requirements of the op-amp and make sure the rechargeable battery can provide enough power.

How long will a 9v battery power an op-amp?

The lifespan of a 9v battery powering an op-amp will depend on the specific op-amp, as well as the other components in the circuit and the amount of power being drawn. It is best to consult the datasheet for the op-amp and test the circuit to determine the average battery life.