Charged particle in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time it takes for a charged particle with a charge-to-mass ratio of 5.7 x 10^8 C/kg to make one revolution on a circular path perpendicular to a magnetic field with a strength of 0.72 T. The equation for the velocity of the particle is provided, but the time is not initially considered. It is then realized that the time can be found using the equation T = 2πr/v. The participants express surprise at not thinking of this solution earlier.
Nivlac2425

Homework Statement

A charged particle with a charge-to-mass ratio of 5.7 x 10^8 C/kg travels on a circular path that is perpendicular to a magnetic field whose strength is .72 T.
How much time does it take for the particle to make one revolution?

Homework Equations

(Magnetic)F = qvB = (Centripetal)F = (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I can produce an equation for the velocity of the particle using the above equation, but how would one find the time that it takes? Hmmm, I know this is probably right in front of my face, but I'm just not seeing it... time...hmm...any hints?

Thank you everyone for even trying to help me out! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
v = ω*r = (2*π /T)*r

Hahaha! Oh, how did I not think of that! Such a fundamental idea didn't cross my mind!
Thank you for helping out, I'll have to think clearly next time!

:approve:

1. What is a charged particle in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field refers to the motion of a charged particle, such as an electron or proton, in the presence of a magnetic field. The movement of the particle is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does a charged particle behave in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field follows a curved path, known as a Lorentz force, due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the particle's charge. The direction of the curved path is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the particle's charge.

3. What is the relationship between the magnetic field and the charged particle's speed?

The speed of a charged particle in a magnetic field does not affect the shape of its path. However, the strength of the magnetic field does affect the radius of curvature of the particle's path. A stronger magnetic field will result in a smaller radius of curvature, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a larger radius of curvature.

4. How does the mass of a charged particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The mass of a charged particle does not directly affect its motion in a magnetic field. However, a particle with a larger mass will have a larger momentum, which can affect the curvature of its path in a magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of charged particles in magnetic fields?

Charged particles in magnetic fields are used in a variety of applications, such as particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in the production of electricity, as seen in generators and electric motors.