Solving Acceleration of M1: Blocks and Pulleys

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the acceleration of block M1, which is connected to blocks M2 by a system of frictionless pulleys and strings. The tension in the first string, T1, is being multiplied by the tension in the second string, T2, to create a force on block M1. The force on block M2 is also being multiplied by the tension in the second string to create a force on block M1. However, the blocks do not have the same acceleration, so the equations for M1 and M2 cannot be solved for T1 and T2.
Patta1667

Homework Statement

Blocks of mass M1 and m2 (as shown in attachment) are connected by a system of frictionless pulleys by massless strings. What is the acceleration of M1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let T1 be the tension in the first (higher) string, and T2 be the tension in the second string. Then the total force on block M1 (assuming it falls) is [tex] F_{M_1} = M_1 g - T_1 = M_1 a [/tex] and the force on block M2 is [tex] F_{M_2} = T_2 - M_2 g = M_2 a [/tex]. THe blocks should have the same acceleration (one up, one down of course) so the relavent equations may be set equal to each other and solved for [tex] T_1 [/tex] as a function of [tex] T_2 [/tex] with no accelerations involved. Unfortunately I get stuck here, as I cannot see the relationship between the tensions and how to eliminate them in the acceleration of the block [tex] M_1 [/tex]. Any help?

Attachments

• Pulleys.jpg
    Pulleys.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
To relate the two tensions, analyze forces on pulley 2.

Doc Al said:
To relate the two tensions, analyze forces on pulley 2.

Pulley 2 has the force [tex] T_1 [/tex] upwards, and twice the force [tex] T_2 [/tex] downwards, correct? This would lead to [tex] T_1 = 2 T_2 [/tex], which I believe was the first technique I tried and failed with.

Patta1667 said:
Pulley 2 has the force [tex] T_1 [/tex] upwards, and twice the force [tex] T_2 [/tex] downwards, correct? This would lead to [tex] T_1 = 2 T_2 [/tex], which I believe was the first technique I tried and failed with.
Looks right to me. Show exactly what you did.

Patta1667 said:
THe blocks should have the same acceleration (one up, one down of course)...
There's the problem: The blocks do not have the same acceleration. Fix your equations for M1 and M2.

[tex] M_1a = M_1 g - T_1 [/tex]
[tex] M_2 a = T_2 - M_2 g [/tex] (a_1 = a_2, so just replaced by a)
[tex] a = g - \frac{T_1}{M_1} = \frac{T_2}{M_2} - g [/tex]
[tex] 2g = \frac{T_1}{M_1} + \frac{T_2}{M_2} = \frac{2T_2}{M_1} + \frac{T_2}{M_2} = T_2 \left( \frac{2}{M_1} + \frac{1}{M_2} \right) [/tex]

Since [tex] T_1 = 2T_2 [/tex] we get:

[tex] T_2 = \frac{2g}{\frac{2}{M_1} + \frac{1}{M_2}} \implies T_1 = \frac{4g}{\frac{2}{M_1} + \frac{1}{M_2}} [/tex]

Substituting this into the equation for [tex] a = g - \frac{T_1}{M_1} [/tex], we get:

[tex] a = g - \frac{4g}{\frac{2}{M_1} + \frac{1}{M_2}} \frac{1}{M_1} = g - \frac{4g M_1 M_2}{2M_2 + M_1} \frac{1}{M_1} = g - \frac{4 g M_2}{2M_2 + M_1} [/tex]

The text's "hint" says let M_1 = M_2, then [tex] a = \frac{1}{5} g [/tex]. Doing so with my equation,

[tex] a = g - \frac{4g M_1}{2M_1 + M_1} = g - \frac{4}{3} g = \frac{-1}{3} g [/tex].

Was my derivation incorrect?

Patta1667 said:
[tex] M_1a = M_1 g - T_1 [/tex]
[tex] M_2 a = T_2 - M_2 g [/tex] (a_1 = a_2, so just replaced by a)
Your assumption that a_1 = a_2 is incorrect. Hint: When pulley 2 moves up 1m, how far does M2 move up?

Doc Al said:
There's the problem: The blocks do not have the same acceleration. Fix your equations for M1 and M2.

Ah, okay.

[tex] a_1 = g - \frac{2 t_2}{M_1} [/tex]
[tex] a_2 = \frac{T_2}{M_2} - g [/tex]

I can eliminate T_2 between the equations, using T_1 = 2 T_2, and this leads to :

[tex] T_2 = M_2 ( a_2 + g) = \frac{M_1}{2} (g - a_1) [/tex]

Now I can relate a_1 to a_2 simply, but I cannot find a way to absolutely express a_1 without tensions or a_2 in the equation. Am I missing an equation to help me solve this?

Last edited:
Oops, I means [tex] 2 a_1 = a_2 [/tex]. This leads to the right answer, thanks Doc!

Patta1667 said:
Now I can relate a_1 to a_2 simply, but I cannot find a way to absolutely express a_1 without tensions or a_2 in the equation. Am I missing an equation to help me solve this?
You are missing the constraint equation that relates the two accelerations. (They have a fixed relationship because of how the pulleys are connected.) See my hint in the last post to figure it out.
[edit] [tex] a_1 = 2 a_2 [/tex]?
Almost. (Careful which is which.)

Edit: Ah... I see you got it. Good!

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in a blocks and pulleys system?

The formula for calculating acceleration in a blocks and pulleys system is a = (m2 - m1)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 is the mass of the first block, m2 is the mass of the second block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in a blocks and pulleys system?

The direction of acceleration in a blocks and pulleys system can be determined by looking at the net force acting on each block. The block with the greater net force will accelerate in that direction, while the block with the smaller net force will accelerate in the opposite direction.

3. What is the role of friction in a blocks and pulleys system?

Friction plays a significant role in a blocks and pulleys system as it can affect the acceleration of the blocks. Frictional forces can reduce the acceleration of the blocks by opposing their motion, and can also cause the blocks to move at different rates if the surfaces have different coefficients of friction.

4. Can the acceleration of a blocks and pulleys system be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a blocks and pulleys system can be negative if the direction of acceleration is in the opposite direction to the initial motion. This can occur if the net force acting on the blocks is in the opposite direction to their initial motion.

5. How does changing the mass of the blocks affect the acceleration in a blocks and pulleys system?

Changing the mass of the blocks will affect the acceleration in a blocks and pulleys system. The heavier block will experience a smaller acceleration compared to the lighter block, and the overall acceleration of the system will decrease as the mass of the blocks increases.