What horizontal distance can a painter climbing a ladder before it slips

• Thread starter zdickz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Horizontal
In summary, the question asks for the distance a 70.2-kg painter can climb along a ladder with a coefficient of static friction of 0.362 before the ladder begins to slip. Using the equation P = μN and the horizontal distance formula, the solution is found to be 6.91 m, taking into account torque calculations. Some tips for solving a similar ladder problem are also provided.
zdickz
This is for an online homework assignment that apparently is not crediting the proper answer. I'm just curious to know if I got this right or if I'm way off. Thanks in advance.

Homework Statement

If the coefficient of static friction is 0.362, and the same ladder makes a 61.0° angle with respect to the horizontal, how far along the length of the ladder can a 70.2-kg painter climb before the ladder begins to slip?

Homework Equations

[tex]\mu[/tex]s = [tex]\frac{P}{N}[/tex]
P = force of wall on ladder
N = weight of ladder + painter

dx = [P(dy)sin[tex]\theta[/tex]a]/(Nsin[tex]\theta[/tex]b)

theta a = the angle between the ladder and the floor
theta b = the angle between the ladder and the wall

The Attempt at a Solution

Force of wall on ladder

P = 0.362(743.66) = 268.84N

Horizontal distance of painter

dx = [268.84(10.6)sin 61]/[(743.66)sin 29] = 6.91 m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you! I've been poking around here and there. I've almost posted a couple of other questions, but in the process of trying to input the problem on here, I've solved the problem. I attached a FBD I drew up.

Attachments

• IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 754

1. What is the maximum horizontal distance a painter can climb on a ladder before it slips?

The maximum horizontal distance a painter can climb on a ladder before it slips depends on various factors such as the weight of the painter, the angle of the ladder, and the type of surface the ladder is resting on. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for the specific ladder being used.

2. How can I ensure that the ladder does not slip while I am painting?

To ensure that the ladder does not slip while painting, it is important to set it up on a stable and level surface. The ladder should also be secured at the top and bottom to prevent any movement. Additionally, make sure to not exceed the weight limit recommended by the manufacturer.

3. Can I use any ladder for painting or are there specific ones designed for this purpose?

While any ladder can be used for painting, there are specific ladders designed for this purpose that provide more stability and safety. These ladders often have wider bases, anti-slip features, and a higher weight capacity.

4. Is there a specific angle at which the ladder should be placed to prevent slipping?

The ideal angle for a ladder to prevent slipping is between 65 and 75 degrees. This provides the best balance between stability and reach. It is important to avoid setting up the ladder at a steep angle, as it can increase the risk of slipping.

5. Can using a ladder on uneven ground affect its stability?

Yes, using a ladder on uneven ground can affect its stability. It is important to make sure the ladder is on a level surface and to use leg levelers or a ladder stabilizer to ensure even weight distribution. Uneven ground can cause the ladder to shift or slip, increasing the risk of accidents.