Valence electrons of a transition element

In summary, for transition elements, the orbital with the highest value of n+l has the highest energy and is filled later, meaning that the 3d subshell has higher energy than the 4s subshell. As for valence electrons, they are the electrons in the outermost energy level, so for Iron (Fe), it would be 2 valence electrons in the 4s subshell. However, this may vary for other transition elements depending on their configurations.
reyrey389
Valence electrons of a transition element...

Here is the electron config. for Iron (Fe) 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d6. I have two questions about this I've been on for hours...

#1 Which subshell (4s or 3d) has the highest subshell?
-You can say that the 3d has higher energy because you write it out later than the 4s (4s is filled before 3d)
-Then again, you can say that the 4s has higher energy because (4, the coefficient, tells us we are in the 4th energy level). 4 is the highest coefficient in that configuration, so the fourth energy level is the outermost.

So which should I follow - the first or the second?

#2 I have been also having trouble finding valence electrons for transition elements
In that configuration I displayed do we say that the valence electrons for Fe is 2? If so, will it always be in the sub shell of the highest coefficient (energy lvl). If I'm not mistaken this means to find the valence of a transition element you will look at the "s" subshell? BUT, since it is in the d-block it has filled the s, so the s will always be 2 for transition elements, so they all have 2 valence electrons?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org

reyrey389 said:
Here is the electron config. for Iron (Fe) 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d6. I have two questions about this I've been on for hours...

#1 Which subshell (4s or 3d) has the highest subshell?
-You can say that the 3d has higher energy because you write it out later than the 4s (4s is filled before 3d)
-Then again, you can say that the 4s has higher energy because (4, the coefficient, tells us we are in the 4th energy level). 4 is the highest coefficient in that configuration, so the fourth energy level is the outermost.

So which should I follow - the first or the second?

Electrons are filled according to The Aufbau's principle ie n+l rule (small L not 1)

the orbital with higher value of n+l has higher energy and is filled later
l = 0 for s
l = 1 for p
l = 2 for d
l = 3 for f

reyrey389 said:
#2 I have been also having trouble finding valence electrons for transition elements
In that configuration I displayed do we say that the valence electrons for Fe is 2? If so, will it always be in the sub shell of the highest coefficient (energy lvl). If I'm not mistaken this means to find the valence of a transition element you will look at the "s" subshell? BUT, since it is in the d-block it has filled the s, so the s will always be 2 for transition elements, so they all have 2 valence electrons?

Well my knowledge might be wrong for this one but i think that valance electrons are no. of electrons in outermost energy level

i.e if configuration was 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p4

so valence electrons will be 6 (2 in 4s and 4 in 4p)

(do you know what is wrong about confi.: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p5 ? :biggrin: think about it)

Related to Valence electrons of a transition element

1. What are valence electrons of a transition element?

Valence electrons of a transition element are the electrons located in the outermost energy level of an atom that are involved in chemical bonding. They determine the chemical and physical properties of the element and are responsible for its reactivity.

2. How do you determine the number of valence electrons in a transition element?

The number of valence electrons in a transition element can be determined by looking at its group number on the periodic table. For example, elements in group 1 have 1 valence electron, while elements in group 2 have 2 valence electrons. For transition elements, the number of valence electrons can vary and can be determined by the element's position on the periodic table.

3. Why are valence electrons of transition elements important?

Valence electrons of transition elements are important because they are involved in chemical bonding, which determines the element's reactivity and ability to form compounds. They also play a role in the element's physical properties, such as melting and boiling points, conductivity, and color.

4. How do valence electrons of transition elements differ from those of other elements?

Valence electrons of transition elements are different from those of other elements because they are located in the d orbital, rather than the s and p orbitals. This allows transition elements to exhibit unique properties, such as variable oxidation states and the ability to form complex compounds.

5. How do valence electrons of transition elements contribute to the element's position on the periodic table?

The number of valence electrons and their arrangement in the d orbital contribute to the element's position on the periodic table. This is why transition elements are located in the middle of the periodic table, between the highly reactive alkali and alkaline earth metals and the less reactive metalloids and nonmetals.