Is 30 too old to start an engineering career?

by One-Question
Tags: career, engineering, start
One-Question
Jan15-12, 09:26 AM
P: 2
If someone studies engineering physics, nd agets his masters degree in nano science at 30? Will it be too late to start his career?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Astronuc
Jan15-12, 09:29 AM
Admin
P: 21,628
Quote Quote by One-Question View Post
If someone studies engineering physics, nd agets his masters degree in nano science at 30? Will it be too late to start his career?
No - especially if one is proficient and diligent.
One-Question
Jan15-12, 09:39 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
No - especially if one is proficient and diligent.
What if you spent 5 years in a deep depression doing nothing? If you cleaned toilets for 6 months its okay? Cause you show that you want to work?

Saladsamurai
Jan15-12, 10:22 AM
P: 3,012

Is 30 too old to start an engineering career?

I hope not. I am 32 and just got by BS/MS in ME and have an interview on Wednesday

But seriously, I went on a lot of interviews during school for co-ops (internships) and many of the interviewers said that they are often more impressed by the level of maturity older candidates can bring to the table. We also usually have a different perspective on things seeing as we usually have some 'life experience' under our belt.

Anyway, good luck and keep your head up! I can assure you it is never too late!!!
Choppy
Jan15-12, 11:21 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,558
Why would it be too late to start your career? Life doesn't end when you turn thirty.

As to your other question, it won't matter too much what you did before your degree. It might come up in conversation, but it won't hurt you if you took a few years to figure out what you really wanted to do with your life.
Chunkysalsa
Jan15-12, 02:12 PM
P: 311
Many of my classmates (EE undergrad) are in their 30s (or approaching/leaving it). Most of them navy but some professionals wishing to get degrees or move onto design level jobs (i.e electrician to EE).
Moonbear
Jan15-12, 05:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Why would that be too late to start any career? You don't retire until 65 (and that might be older by the time we all get there with the way things are changing), so starting at 30 still leaves you with 35 years to work and advance in that field. Even if others have a 9 year head start on you, surely it's better to lag 9 years behind the younger folks than to spend another 35 years doing something you don't enjoy.
denks
Jan15-12, 10:05 PM
P: 76
Quote Quote by Saladsamurai View Post
I hope not. I am 32 and just got by BS/MS in ME and have an interview on Wednesday

But seriously, I went on a lot of interviews during school for co-ops (internships) and many of the interviewers said that they are often more impressed by the level of maturity older candidates can bring to the table. We also usually have a different perspective on things seeing as we usually have some 'life experience' under our belt.

Anyway, good luck and keep your head up! I can assure you it is never too late!!!
I hope not too! I am 34 and just about to start second year of Mechanical / Mechatronics Eng. My marks this time around are so far ahead of my first attempt at study too, most likely due to the maturity aspect that you mentioned.

Register to reply