Secondary Major to Nuclear Engineering

In summary, the individual is a senior in high school who will be attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in the fall to major in Nuclear Engineering. They are considering double majoring in Mathematics or minoring in it, and are wondering if this would be beneficial for their major. They are passionate about math and are even taking a higher level Calculus course at a community college. They are also interested in number theory and abstract thinking. The individual is seeking responses and opinions on RPI's nuclear engineering program and whether it is a good school for this field. They have also been accepted into Penn State University's nuclear engineering program, but have been told that RPI is stronger in engineering. They are aware of the importance of math and
NukeEng101
Hello! This is my first post and I am a senior at my high school who is attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in the fall to major in Nuclear Engineering. I was thinking about double majoring in Mathematics or just minor in it. I was wondering if this major/minor would be of use for my major.

I love math and I always have. I am even taking Calculus 2 at Harrisburg Area Community College just to take a higher math than what my school could offer (my school is so small we have no AP classes and the Calc class doesn't cover much the indefinite integral). I know nuclear engineering takes a lot of math and I've read the coursework for my major, but I am also interested into the number theory and a lot more abstract thinking.

Any responses would be a great help!

Oh and is Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute a good school for nuclear engineering? I've read that it is really strong in engineering.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
NukeEng101 said:
Hello! This is my first post and I am a senior at my high school who is attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in the fall to major in Nuclear Engineering. I was thinking about double majoring in Mathematics or just minor in it. I was wondering if this major/minor would be of use for my major.

I love math and I always have. I am even taking Calculus 2 at Harrisburg Area Community College just to take a higher math than what my school could offer (my school is so small we have no AP classes and the Calc class doesn't cover much the indefinite integral). I know nuclear engineering takes a lot of math and I've read the coursework for my major, but I am also interested into the number theory and a lot more abstract thinking.

Any responses would be a great help!

Oh and is Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute a good school for nuclear engineering? I've read that it is really strong in engineering.

Thanks again!
As far as I know, RPI has a decent nuclear engineering program. Definite take as much math, and if possible, physics courses.

One of the big areas in nuclear engineering and engineering in general is computational physics. There is a lot of prospects for developing computational systems, methods, and models for systems of coupled nonlinear PDEs - involving neutronics and particle transport, fluid dynamics, thermo-mechanics, and structural mechanics - in order order to better model nuclear power systems. That applies to power systems or other complex dynamic systems as well.

Okay thank you so much. I've just been thinking more about college lately and I was just unsure. I also was accepted into the Penn State University's Nuke E but I've been told that it is not as good as RPI. Even though PSU does have a student reactor on campus. But thank you though, I knew that math is important in this major and also Physics courses are already in for the freshman year at RPI and then later on it delves deeper in with basic reactor physics and so forth.

NukeEng101 said:
Okay thank you so much. I've just been thinking more about college lately and I was just unsure. I also was accepted into the Penn State University's Nuke E but I've been told that it is not as good as RPI. Even though PSU does have a student reactor on campus. But thank you though, I knew that math is important in this major and also Physics courses are already in for the freshman year at RPI and then later on it delves deeper in with basic reactor physics and so forth.

In terms of graduate rankings RPI isn't in the top 10 while Penn. State is. Of course undergraduate rankings are different (and non-existent), but I believe both programs have a good undergraduate program. Most of the schools with Nuclear Engineering have a good undergraduate program. I would only suggest Penn. State over RPI if you're interested in it for graduate school.

Consider boosting the versitility of your engineering education also. Mechanical engineering with courses in 3D solid model design, instrumentation, and control design would be a good compliment.

NukeEng101 said:
I have to say PSU has a good NE program, because I know the Chair. :biggrin: He's a really good guy!

NukeEng101 said:

I think if you intend on going further with your studies in nuclear engineering, math may not be the best choice of a second double major. Sure having more math is better, but I doubt proof based math courses would be of much help for your nuclear engineering studies. A minor in math could be of some use because you could choose extra math classes to take that may be directly applicable to NE such as PDE's, linear algebra, numerical analysis, etc...

I have had similar questions about this as well, but I would think a double major in physics or possibly mechanical/chemical engineering would be a strong combination for graduate school, or for just getting a job. Astronuc is the best person to ask probably about this though.

I haven't checked on this in awhile! I am actually getting a minor in Mathematics at RPI and I'm gearing it towards more applicable class for NE. I'm a sophomore now and I really enjoyed my first year! I decided to go with RPI for undergrad because I feel as if it has a stronger and more difficult undergrad experience than PSU. That's not to say PSU isn't a great school for NE, in fact, I want to look at that heavily for grad school since I live an hour away from PSU :D Thanks so much for all the info from before! It really helped me out.

NukeEng101 said:
I haven't checked on this in awhile! I am actually getting a minor in Mathematics at RPI and I'm gearing it towards more applicable class for NE. I'm a sophomore now and I really enjoyed my first year! I decided to go with RPI for undergrad because I feel as if it has a stronger and more difficult undergrad experience than PSU. That's not to say PSU isn't a great school for NE, in fact, I want to look at that heavily for grad school since I live an hour away from PSU :D Thanks so much for all the info from before! It really helped me out.

Get involved with American Nuclear Society and go to the conferences (They are a lot of fun)! Also, start looking for undergraduate research if you want to go to graduate school!

1. What is a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering?

A secondary major in Nuclear Engineering is an additional area of study that complements your primary major in a related field. It allows you to gain a deeper understanding of nuclear engineering principles and applications, while still focusing on your primary major.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering?

There are several benefits to pursuing a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering. It can enhance your knowledge and skills in a specific area, making you more competitive in the job market. It can also open up more career opportunities in the nuclear industry. Additionally, it can provide a well-rounded education and make you a more versatile and adaptable scientist.

3. What are the prerequisites for a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering?

The prerequisites for a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering may vary depending on the university or program, but typically include courses in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Some programs may also require specific engineering courses or a minimum GPA in your primary major.

4. Can I pursue a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering if my primary major is not in a related field?

It is possible to pursue a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering even if your primary major is not in a related field. However, you may need to take additional prerequisite courses to ensure that you have the necessary background knowledge in math and science. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action.

5. How long does it take to complete a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering?

The time it takes to complete a secondary major in Nuclear Engineering will depend on your university or program, as well as your course load and academic progress. Generally, it can take an additional 1-2 years to complete a secondary major on top of your primary major. However, some universities may offer accelerated or combined degree programs that can shorten the time frame.