Prove Intersection of Subgroups of G is Normal Subgroup

In summary, the task is to prove that the intersection of all subgroups of order n in a group G is a normal subgroup of G. This can be done by showing that for any element g in the intersection, the conjugate hgh^-1 is also in the intersection for any element h in G. This is possible by choosing a specific conjugate of a subgroup of order n and using one of the normality tests. Therefore, the intersection of all subgroups of order n is indeed a normal subgroup of G.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

Suppose that a group G has a subgroup of order n. Prove that the intersection of all subgroups of G of order n is a normal subgroup of G.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to do the following:
Let S be the set of all subgroups of G with order N and let C be the set of all conjugates of those subgroups.

(1) Prove the conjugate of the intersection of all elements in the set S is contained in the intersection of all the elements of C. [I.e. if K is the intersection of all H in S, then gK(g^-1) is contained in the intersection of all gH(g^-1)]

(2) Prove that the sets S and C are the same (i.e. S=C) by double inclusion and conclude then that the intersection of all the elements of S must be the same as the intersection of all the elements of C.

(3) Finally, use one of the normality tests to conclude that the intersection of all the elements of S is normal in G.
However, I do not know how to set up any of these proofs.
Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you can do this rather directly: let g be in the intersection of all subgroups of order n and let h be in G. Then you need to show that hgh^(-1) is in all subgroups of order n. So let K be any subgroup of order n and try to show hgh^(-1) is in it. If we conjugate a group of order n then we get another group of order n. So g is in every conjugate of K. What conjugate of K should we choose to help us finish the proof?

What is the definition of a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup of a group G is a subgroup that is invariant under conjugation by any element in G. This means that for any element g in G and any element h in the normal subgroup, the conjugate of h by g (ghg⁻¹) is also in the normal subgroup.

How do you prove that the intersection of subgroups of G is a normal subgroup?

To prove that the intersection of subgroups of G is a normal subgroup, we need to show that it is a subgroup of G and that it is invariant under conjugation by any element in G. This can be done by showing that the intersection satisfies the subgroup criteria, and by showing that for any element g in G and any element h in the intersection, the conjugate of h by g (ghg⁻¹) is also in the intersection.

Why is it important to prove that the intersection of subgroups of G is a normal subgroup?

Proving that the intersection of subgroups of G is a normal subgroup is important because it allows us to simplify the structure of a group. By showing that the intersection is a normal subgroup, we can use the quotient group to better understand the original group G.

What are some applications of the concept of normal subgroups?

The concept of normal subgroups has many applications in group theory and in other areas of mathematics. It is used in the study of symmetry and in the classification of groups. It also has applications in algebraic topology, algebraic geometry, and number theory.

What are some examples of normal subgroups?

Some examples of normal subgroups include the center of a group, the commutator subgroup, and the kernel of a homomorphism. In the symmetric group Sn, the alternating group An is a normal subgroup. In the dihedral group Dn, the subgroup of rotations is a normal subgroup, while the subgroup of reflections is not.