Prove these groups are not isomorphic

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary: No, it doesn't. If phi(x)=(-1) then phi(x+x)=phi(x)*phi(x)=1. Now what does phi(0) have to be? 0 is the identity in R+, yes?No, it doesn't. If phi(x)=(-1) then phi(x+x)=phi(x)*phi(x)=1. Now what does phi(0) have to be? 0 is the identity in R+, yes?
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

prove that R under addition is not isomorphic to[tex] R^*[/tex], the group of non zero real numbers under multiplication.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\varphi:(R,+) \rightarrow (R^* , .)[/tex]
let [tex]\varphi[/tex](x) = -x
then [tex]\varphi[/tex](x+y) = -(x+y) = -x-y
[tex]\neq \varphi(x)\varphi(y) = (-x)(-y) = xy \neq -x-y[/tex]
since these are not equal it proves they are not isomorphic?
im a little confused about this, am i doing this right?
Thanks all

Physics news on Phys.org

how about considering multiplication by zero...

and for clarity, with
[tex]
\varphi:(R,+) \rightarrow (R^* , .)
[/tex]

your notation is not very clear, to clean it up a bit how about writing
[tex]
X = \varphi(x)
[/tex]

try re-writing the argument you made and see if it makes sense

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]\varphi:(R,+) \rightarrow (R^* , .)[/tex]
let [tex]\varphi[/tex](x) = -x
then [tex]\varphi[/tex](x+y) = -(x+y) = -x-y
[tex]\neq \varphi(x)\varphi(y) = (-x)(-y) = xy \neq -x-y[/tex]
since these are not equal it proves they are not isomorphic?
im a little confused about this, am i doing this right?
Thanks all

This does not suffice to prove that they are not isomorphic. What you have done now, is prove that [tex]\varphi[/tex] is not an isomorphism. However, there could be another function, that does yield an isomorphism. It's not because one function is not an isomorphism, that there doesn't exist a function that is!

You'll have to proceed by contradiction. Suppose that there does exist an isomorphism [tex]\varphi:(R,+)\rightarrow (R^*,.)[/tex] (and you know nothing else of this function, only that it's an isomorphism!), then try to derive a contradiction.

thanks for the replys people,
so i know nothing else about this function only that it is isomophic, So the 2 groups are really the same only "labelled" differently. I am not sure how to use this...

So, since you know it is an isomorphism, then there must be an element x which gets sent to -1. But where does x+x gets sent to?

gtfitzpatrick said:

Homework Statement

prove that R under addition is not isomorphic to[tex] R^*[/tex], the group of non zero real numbers under multiplication.
Is this really what the problem says? I can't help but wonder about [itex]\phi(x)= e^x[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is from R to [itex]R^*[/itex]. Why is that not an isomorphism?

HallsofIvy said:
Is this really what the problem says? I can't help but wonder about [itex]\phi(x)= e^x[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is from R to [itex]R^*[/itex]. Why is that not an isomorphism?

R* contains negative numbers. It's not onto.

micromass said:
So, since you know it is an isomorphism, then there must be an element x which gets sent to -1. But where does x+x gets sent to?

im not sure if I am thinking along the right lines but x+x get sent to x^2 where as -1-1 = -2 gets sent to +1?

gtfitzpatrick said:
im not sure if I am thinking along the right lines but x+x get sent to x^2 where as -1-1 = -2 gets sent to +1?

Partially right. But confused. If phi(x)=(-1) then phi(x+x)=phi(x)*phi(x)=1. Now what does phi(0) have to be? 0 is the identity in R+, yes?

Dick said:
Partially right. But confused. If phi(x)=(-1) then phi(x+x)=phi(x)*phi(x)=1. Now what does phi(0) have to be? 0 is the identity in R+, yes?

phi(0) = (0)
phi(0+0) = 0 in (R^*, .) but its supposed to be the group of non zero real numbers so we have a contradiction?

Why would phi(0)=0??

If phi(x)=(-1) then phi(x+x)=phi(x)*phi(x)=1

so phi(0)=(-1) then phi(0+0)=phi(0)*phi(0)=1

so phi(0) = (1)?

gtfitzpatrick said:
If phi(x)=(-1) then phi(x+x)=phi(x)*phi(x)=1

so phi(0)=(-1) then phi(0+0)=phi(0)*phi(0)=1

so phi(0) = (1)?

phi(0)=1 all right. But your argument is hardly convincing since it relies on the statement phi(0)=(-1)??! Where did that come from? Can't you really think of something a little more persuasive??

What does it mean to prove two groups are not isomorphic?

Proving that two groups are not isomorphic means showing that they cannot be mapped onto each other in a way that preserves the group structure. This involves demonstrating that the groups have different properties or elements that cannot be matched or related in any meaningful way.

What is the importance of proving groups are not isomorphic?

Proving that groups are not isomorphic is important in understanding the relationships and differences between different mathematical structures. It can also help to identify the unique properties and characteristics of each group, which can have implications in various fields of mathematics and science.

How can I prove two groups are not isomorphic?

There are many different methods for proving that two groups are not isomorphic. These can include examining the order and structure of the groups, looking at their subgroups and cosets, or analyzing their elements and operations. It often involves finding a specific property or element that is unique to one group and does not exist in the other.

Is it possible for two groups to have the same elements but still not be isomorphic?

Yes, it is possible for two groups to have the same elements but not be isomorphic. This can happen if the groups have different operations or structures, even if they have the same number and type of elements. It is important to consider all aspects of the groups when trying to prove or disprove isomorphism.

Can groups with different numbers of elements be isomorphic?

No, groups with different numbers of elements cannot be isomorphic. This is because isomorphic groups must have the same structure and properties, and the number of elements is a fundamental aspect of a group's structure. If two groups have different numbers of elements, it is impossible for them to be mapped onto each other in a way that preserves their group structure.