Thermal Physics: Evaluating Limits at Zero Temperature

In summary, the conversation was about evaluating an expression with a variable T representing temperature, where the expression was given as C_v = 2((hbar * omega)/T)^2 * (exp((hbar * omega)/T))/(exp((hbar * omega)/T) - 1)^2. The question was how to evaluate this expression for T approaching 0 without using L'Hopital's rule. A possible approach was suggested by changing variables to x = hbar * omega / T, resulting in evaluating lim_{x\leftarrow \infty} 2x^2(\frac{e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}). It was concluded that other than using L'Hopital's
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Please take a look at this expression, where T is our variable (it represents temperature):

[tex]
C_v = 2\left( {\frac{{\hbar \omega }}{T}} \right)^2 \frac{{\exp \left( {\frac{{\hbar \omega }}{T}} \right)}}{{\left( {\exp \left( {\frac{{\hbar \omega }}{T}} \right) - 1} \right)^2 }}.
[/tex]

I have to evaluate this for [itex]T \rightarrow 0[/itex]. I would use L'Hopital, but isn't there an easier way? Because when I differentiate the nominator (the top), then I will end up with an expression like the original nominator, which won't help me.

Thanks in advance.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thermal physics correct?

I had some sort of this question, it goes like this:
change variables, to dimensionless i.e x=hbar*w/T
so you now evaluate:
[tex]lim_{x\leftarrow \infty} 2x^2(\frac{e^x}{(e^x-1)^2})[/tex]
Other than L'hopital twice there isn't any other approach.

Yeah, thermal physics :smile:

Thanks!

1. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a specified value. In other words, it is the value that a function or sequence gets closer and closer to, but may never actually reach, as the input or index gets closer to a specific number.

2. How do you evaluate a limit?

To evaluate a limit, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, algebraic manipulation, or limit laws. These techniques involve plugging in values close to the specified number and simplifying the expression to determine the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the values approaching the specified number from one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the values approaching from both directions, and the limit only exists if the values approaching from both sides approach the same value.

4. When does a limit not exist?

A limit does not exist if the values approaching the specified number from both directions do not approach the same value, or if the function has a vertical asymptote at the specified number. In addition, a limit may not exist if the function oscillates or approaches infinity near the specified number.

5. Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions and sequences at specific points. They also help us solve problems involving rates of change, continuity, and infinite processes. In addition, limits are essential in calculus, which is the foundation of many fields of science and engineering.