Gauss Law:Wired in a pipe

In summary: Excellent. (Looks like I forgot to respond to your last post. Oops! But you have it now.)As far as marking the thread solved, you should be able to do it: Click on thread tools and you should see an option. :cool:In summary, we discussed the electric field within an infinitely long cylindrical metallic shell with a line of charge along its axis. Using Gauss's law, we determined that the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire to the pipe, except for within the wall of the pipe where it is zero. This assumption is valid because considering an infinitely long cylinder allows for a uniform and radial field, regardless of the position of the wire along the axis. However, if the pipe
JayKo

Homework Statement

Consider an infinitely long cylindrical metallic shell with a line of charge within and
coincides with the axis of the cylindrical shell as shown in Figure . How does E field vary
with r?

Homework Equations

E.A=q/[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

E=E field, A = surface area

The Attempt at a Solution

The Electric field within the inner circle of cylinder +Q pointing toward outer space.assuming charge at the wire is +Q. however the the area inside the thickness of the pipes has ZERO Electric field because the inner surface of the pipe is induced with -Q, while the outer surface is having total charge of +Q.

Area surrounding the pipe surface having E field pointing outward.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2706/wiredinapipevi8.th.jpg
is this explanation make sense, or how should i write in a more presentable manner? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you say is correct (except that you use Q instead of the charge per unit length), but you didn't do what was asked: Express the field as a function of r.

Hint: Call the charge per unit length [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Use Gauss's law to find an expression for E(r) in each of those three regions.

Well your explanation is quite correct, but you would also want to give the exact expression for the electric field at varying distances from the line of charge. Just use Gauss' law.

Edit: I am gettin old for this lol

Doc Al said:
What you say is correct (except that you use Q instead of the charge per unit length), but you didn't do what was asked: Express the field as a function of r.

Hint: Call the charge per unit length [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Use Gauss's law to find an expression for E(r) in each of those three regions.

hi Dr. Al. ok, here is the derivation of the E(r) and r relationship.

[tex]\Phi[/tex]=E A = Q / [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

therefore, E = [tex]\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon*r}[/tex].

[just couldn't get the latex working]
The E field is = lamba / (2*pi*r*epsilon) ]

From this, we predicted the E field is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire to the pipe, r. however the only exception is when E field is inside the wall of the pipe. it is ZERO as mention above.

Last edited:
arunbg said:
Well your explanation is quite correct, but you would also want to give the exact expression for the electric field at varying distances from the line of charge. Just use Gauss' law.

Edit: I am gettin old for this lol

LOL, my explanation is at post #4. thanks for the reply.

Looks good to me! (I'd mention that you used a cylindrical Gaussian surface. If its length is L, the charge within that surface is [itex]\lambda[/itex] L.)

Doc Al said:
Looks good to me! (I'd mention that you used a cylindrical Gaussian surface. If its length is L, the charge within that surface is [itex]\lambda[/itex] L.)

yeah, q= [itex]\lambda[/itex]* length
while derive it, length was cancel out with the cylinder length.

btw, my final doubt is, since we are ask to consider a INFINATELY long cylindrical shape, we still consider it as length, L. which only this that my explanation can establish.

Cosidering an infinitely long cylinder allows you to assume that the field is uniform and radial (by symmetry) in your Gaussian section, regardless of where along the axis you place it. If the pipe or line charge were finite, and you were near the end, you'd expect some non-radial components (edge effects).

Doc Al said:
Cosidering an infinitely long cylinder allows you to assume that the field is uniform and radial (by symmetry) in your Gaussian section, regardless of where along the axis you place it. If the pipe or line charge were finite, and you were near the end, you'd expect some non-radial components (edge effects).

Hi Doc, i finally got the whole big picture of this. just a minor clarification, [regardless of where along the axis you place it.] are you referring to the position of the charged wires is not necessary at the centre of the pipe? because i feel this is not real intituitive, as the formula suggest, the E field do depend on the radius.correct me if i m wrong and misinterpret the meaning.

{If the pipe or line charge were finite, and you were near the end, you'd expect some non-radial components (edge effects)} this part i can understand. thanks again.

hi Doc, i finally got your meaning of your post #08. please marked this thread as solved!.thanks .

Excellent. (Looks like I forgot to respond to your last post. Oops! But you have it now.)

As far as marking the thread solved, you should be able to do it: Click on thread tools and you should see an option. :cool:

What is Gauss Law?

Gauss Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges.

What does "Wired in a pipe" mean in relation to Gauss Law?

"Wired in a pipe" refers to the concept of using a cylindrical shape, such as a pipe, to enclose a distribution of electric charges for the purpose of calculating the electric field using Gauss Law.

How is Gauss Law applied in real-world situations?

Gauss Law is commonly used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing electrical circuits, analyzing antennas, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

What is the mathematical equation for Gauss Law?

The mathematical representation of Gauss Law is ∮SE · dA = Qenc / ε0, where ∮SE · dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface S, Qenc is the total enclosed charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What are the main assumptions of Gauss Law?

The main assumptions of Gauss Law include a static electric field, a closed surface enclosing the distribution of charges, and a homogeneous and isotropic medium with a constant permittivity. Additionally, the charge distribution must be continuous and the surface cannot intersect any charges or have any gaps in it.