How can i learn high level maths alone?

• Thread starter Alexander~E=hv
  • Start date
In summary, in order to solve quantum mechanics exercises, it is necessary to have a strong foundation in physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and waves/oscillations. Additionally, a thorough understanding of calculus, differential equations, complex numbers, and linear algebra is crucial. It is recommended to find reliable resources and materials, such as books and online courses, to further develop these skills.
Alexander~E=hv
I want to learn higher level maths because i am in high school and the maths i know are not enough for my purpose. I want to solve quantum mechanics exercises so is that possible? How?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before tackling QM, you will need a good grasp of physics : Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism and Waves/Oscillations should be a good background. You will also need to learn a lot of calculus (single and multivariable) and differential equations. You also need to be familiar with complex numbers and linear algebra.

You'd have to find good books on linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. There are a lot of bad books on these subjects, but I don't really know which ones to recommend at that level.

You can always try mit's open courseware.

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

1. How important is it to have a strong foundation in basic math before attempting to learn high level math concepts?

Having a strong foundation in basic math is crucial for learning high level math. It provides the necessary building blocks and understanding of mathematical principles that are essential for tackling more complex concepts.

2. What are some recommended resources for self-learning high level math?

There are many resources available for self-learning high level math, such as textbooks, online courses, and instructional videos. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy, Coursera, MIT OpenCourseWare, and textbooks from reputable publishers like Pearson and McGraw-Hill.

3. How can I stay motivated while learning high level math alone?

Staying motivated while learning high level math alone can be challenging. Setting specific goals, breaking down concepts into smaller chunks, and seeking help from online forums or study groups can help maintain motivation. It's also important to take breaks and reward yourself for progress made.

4. Are there any tips for effectively learning high level math concepts alone?

Some tips for effectively learning high level math concepts alone include practicing regularly, breaking down concepts into smaller parts, and seeking out alternative explanations if something is not clear. It's also important to review previous material to reinforce understanding.

5. Is it possible to learn high level math alone without prior knowledge or experience?

While it is possible to learn high level math alone without prior knowledge or experience, it may be more challenging. It's recommended to have at least a strong foundation in basic math and a willingness to put in the time and effort to learn. Seeking out additional resources and seeking help when needed can also aid in the learning process.