Any Free Programs to Unzip a Zip File?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, there are various options for unzipping zip files on Windows, including using the built-in Windows functionality or downloading a free program such as WinRAR or 7-Zip. It is not necessary to purchase Winzip in order to unzip files. Additionally, 7-Zip also allows for creating zip files and uncompressing other formats.
yungman
I need to unzip a zip file. My trial Winzip expires and I don't want to pay $29 for the program. Any free program to unzip a zip file?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Both WinRAR and 7Zip work well.

You don't need any extra software to unzip zip files on Windows. Just double-click on the file icon and Windows shows the contents as if the zip file was an ordinary Windows folder (directory).

But if you installed Winzip, it probably hijacked that behaviour, to make you think you reallly really need to buy Winzip!

If you want to create a zip file, or uncompress other formats, try http://www.7-zip.org/ (which is free).

Thanks, I installed 7Zip and it works.

Thank

Alan

Yes, there are several free programs available to unzip a zip file. Some popular options include 7-Zip, WinRAR, and PeaZip. These programs offer similar functionality to paid programs like Winzip and can be downloaded for free from their respective websites. Additionally, many operating systems, such as Windows and MacOS, have built-in file extraction tools that can unzip zip files. It is important to note that when downloading any software, it is always recommended to do so from a trusted and reputable source to avoid any potential security risks.

What is an unzip software?

An unzip software is a computer program that allows you to extract files from a compressed folder or file. It is used to decompress files that have been compressed for easier storage and transfer.

Do I need to pay for an unzip software?

No, there are many free unzip software available online that you can download and use without any cost. Some examples include 7-Zip, WinRAR, and PeaZip.

Can I use an unzip software on any type of file?

Most unzip software can handle various types of compressed files, such as ZIP, RAR, and 7z. However, it is always a good idea to check the specific software's capabilities and supported file types before using it.

Is it safe to use free unzip software?

Yes, as long as you download the software from a reputable source, it is generally safe to use. However, it is always recommended to have a reliable antivirus program installed on your computer to ensure the safety of your files.

Can I use an unzip software on my mobile device?

Yes, there are also free unzip software available for mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets. Some popular options include WinZip and RAR for Android devices, and iZip and WinZip for iOS devices.