Prove continuouty of 1/x (delta-epsilon)

• Thread starter wglmb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving continuity of the function g(x)=1/x on \latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\} and the difficulties encountered with handling the case of b such that \mid a-b\mid<1. The conversation suggests avoiding splitting cases and instead choosing a different delta that will depend on the fixed point a to handle the situation. A helpful thread is also mentioned for further reference.
wglmb
Hi guys, I've been trying to do this for a while but I'm not really getting anywhere. Hints would be much appreciated!

Homework Statement

Prove that the function [itex]g(x)=1/x[/itex] is continuous on [itex]\latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\}[/itex], but cannot be defined at the origin [itex]0[/itex] in such a way that the resulting function is continuous on [itex]\latexbb{R}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just the first part for now - proving continuity on [itex]\latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\}[/itex].
They want an [itex]\epsilon-\delta[/itex] proof. Here we go...

Let [itex]a,b\in\latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\}[/itex].
Let [itex]\delta=\epsilon>0[/itex].
Then [itex]\forall a\in\latexbb{R}\smallsetminus\{0\}[/itex] and [itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex] we have:
[itex]\mid a-b\mid<\delta\Rightarrow\mid g(a)-g(b)\mid=\mid \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}\mid=\mid\frac{b-a}{ab}\mid<\frac{\delta}{\mid ab\mid}[/itex]
Now I take the case where [itex]b[/itex] is such that [itex]\mid a-b\mid>1[/itex] and we have...
[itex]\frac{\delta}{\mid ab\mid}<\delta=\epsilon[/itex]
So it's proven for such [itex]b[/itex] (I think?)

Now I have no idea what to do about [itex]b[/itex] such that [itex]\mid a-b\mid<1[/itex]. Or was splitting it into two cases a bad idea? Am I going anywhere useful here?
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not a good idea to split cases. You will have to take a different delta to handle the situation at once. The thing that gives some trouble, is the denominator |ab|. We want to make sure this is small. Now, a is fixed (since we want to prove continuity at the fixed point a), so in fact the only trouble is 1/|b|, which we want to make small. This is the same as |b| being not too big. This can be arranged by choosing the right delta, which will depend on a. In that way, |a-b|<delta implies that b will be close to a, and after some fiddling you will be able to estimate 1/|b|.
I hope this helps you. You can also take a look at this thread.

What does "prove continuity" mean in this context?

In mathematics, proving continuity means showing that a function has no sudden or abrupt changes in its value. In other words, it means that as the input of the function changes, the output changes gradually and smoothly.

What is the function 1/x and why is it important to prove its continuity?

The function 1/x, also known as the reciprocal function, is a fundamental mathematical function that represents the inverse relationship between two variables. Proving its continuity is important because it is used in many real-world applications, and understanding its continuity helps us better understand its behavior and make accurate predictions.

What is the delta-epsilon definition of continuity?

The delta-epsilon definition of continuity is a mathematical concept that defines the continuity of a function at a specific point. It states that a function f is continuous at a point x=a if, for any given value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding value of delta (δ) such that when the distance between x and a is less than delta, the distance between f(x) and f(a) is less than epsilon.

How do you prove continuity of 1/x using the delta-epsilon definition?

To prove continuity of 1/x using the delta-epsilon definition, we need to show that for any given value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding value of delta (δ) such that when the distance between x and a is less than delta, the distance between f(x) and f(a) is less than epsilon. This can be done by manipulating the algebraic expressions of the function and using the definition of a limit.

What are the common challenges encountered when proving continuity of 1/x using the delta-epsilon definition?

One of the common challenges encountered when proving continuity of 1/x using the delta-epsilon definition is determining the appropriate values of delta and epsilon that satisfy the definition. Another challenge is understanding the algebraic manipulations required to prove the continuity of the function. Additionally, visualizing the concept of continuity in mathematical terms can also be challenging for some individuals.