Positive charge distributed uniformly along y axis

by nateastle
Tags: axis, charge, distributed, positive, uniformly
Share this thread:
nateastle
Aug28-06, 09:29 PM
P: 15
I have a physics question that states:
An amount of positive charge is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y=o and y=a. A negative point charge -q lies on teh positive x=axis a distance r from the origin. Derive the x and y compontes of the force that the charge distribution exerts on Q exerts on q.

I have figured the y force to be: (Qqk/a)[(q/x)-(1/(a^2 +x^2)^1/2)] I did this by drawing out the graph and by doing an intgral from 0 to a on dfsin theta. Where theta is the angle where the line comes from the top of through q. I then used trig substitution to figure out what sin theta is. The part that I am stuck on is how do I solve for the force on the X axis.

Any help is much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Andrew Mason
Aug29-06, 07:45 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,654
Quote Quote by nateastle
I have a physics question that states:
An amount of positive charge is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y=o and y=a. A negative point charge -q lies on teh positive x=axis a distance r from the origin. Derive the x and y compontes of the force that the charge distribution exerts on Q exerts on q.

I have figured the y force to be: (Qqk/a)[(q/x)-(1/(a^2 +x^2)^1/2)] I did this by drawing out the graph and by doing an intgral from 0 to a on dfsin theta. Where theta is the angle where the line comes from the top of through q. I then used trig substitution to figure out what sin theta is. The part that I am stuck on is how do I solve for the force on the X axis.
The force on q of a charge [itex]dQ = \frac{Q}{a}dy[/itex] is:

[tex]F = \frac{kq}{(r^2+y^2)}dQ = \frac{kqQ}{a(r^2+y^2)}dy[/tex]

So the components of the Coulomb force on q would be:

[tex]F_x = \frac{kqQ}{a}\int_0^a \frac{1}{y^2+r^2}cos\theta dy[/tex]

[tex]F_y = \frac{kqQ}{a}\int_0^a \frac{1}{y^2+r^2}sin\theta dy[/tex]

where [itex]sin\theta = y/\sqrt{y^2+r^2}[/itex] and [itex]cos\theta = r/\sqrt{y^2+r^2}[/itex]

Work out those integrals and you should get the right answer.

AM

Register to reply