by Alkatran
Tags: ridiculous
Share this thread:
Alkatran
Sep7-06, 08:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 944
My university classes start today so I did the first real look at my schedule and realized: all my hard classes are on the same days!

On one day I have social and ethical issues in computer science and user interface design and on the other day I get modern physics, calculus 3 and analysis of algorithms.

Ugh. Boring day, too-much-information day, boring day, ...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Kurdt
Sep7-06, 08:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,982
The schedulers almost seem to do it for fun. Glad I graduated this summer.
Gokul43201
Sep7-06, 09:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by Alkatran
My university classes start today so I did the first real look at my schedule and realized: all my hard classes are on the same days!

On one day I have social and ethical issues in computer science and user interface design
Yikes! Those look crazy hard to me. Bet I'd never get a halfway decent grade in either one.

Moonbear
Sep7-06, 10:30 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
This is ridiculous

Maybe I'm just different, or weird, but I would have preferred schedules like that, where all the tough classes are packed into the same day alternating with easier classes (though, from your list, I'm not sure which ones you think are the easy ones ). The reason is that you can also alternate your studying and assignments. On the day when you have light classes, you can spend the rest of the day really studying hard because you aren't burnt out from the lectures, then on the days when your brain is just fried from the hard core classes, you can do the assignments for your easy classes.

Of course, part of it has to do with how many credits a course is worth and how many times a week it meets. If a class is meeting 3 times a week, the schedulers are being kind if they make it meet Mon, Wed, Fri, and put the 2 times a week classes on Tues, Thurs. It's just evil when they give you a class schedule with a class that meets Mon, Thurs, Fri, or Mon, Tues, Thurs, because those two days that you have it in a row just make it nearly impossible to keep up with the assignments, especially if you have a lot of other classes those days as well, so can't just spend the remainder of the day doing your assignments.
Alkatran
Sep7-06, 11:54 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Gokul43201
Yikes! Those look crazy hard to me. Bet I'd never get a halfway decent grade in either one.
Haha, philosophy and ethics classes I can do in my sleep. You don't even have to be right, as long as you argue well. There's even only going to be two 5-7 page assignements!
Ivan Seeking
Sep7-06, 12:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Due to overload, I ended up reading Plato's Republic during the half hour before the final. It turned out that the final covered only one subject: Plato's Republic.

Aced it. To this day I think he never read my paper; that the grade was based what he expected and not what he actually got.
Cyrus
Sep7-06, 12:36 PM
P: 4,780
Pfft Plato.....have you read Heidegger!??
Ivan Seeking
Sep7-06, 12:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Quote Quote by cyrusabdollahi
No, but if I have an extra fifteen minutes I will.
franznietzsche
Sep7-06, 12:39 PM
P: 1,783

Personally I'm a fan of....well, do i even have to actually say it?
Cyrus
Sep7-06, 01:59 PM
Here is an example of a quote from Heidegger Ivan:

Quote Quote by Nazi-ger
That the thingness of the thing is particularly difficult to express and only seldom expressible is infallibly documented by the history of its interpretation indicated above........The interpretations of the thingness of the thing which, predominant in the course of Western thought, have long become self-evident and are now in everday use, may be reduced to three.
(1) thingless and (2) thingness are NOT words.....:ugg:
franznietzsche
Sep7-06, 02:12 PM
Here is an example of a quote from Heidegger Ivan:

(1) thingless and (2) thingness are NOT words.....:ugg:

Umm, you do realize that Heidegger did not write in english right? Take that issue up with the translator.
Alkatran
Sep7-06, 02:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
Due to overload, I ended up reading Plato's Republic during the half hour before the final. It turned out that the final covered only one subject: Plato's Republic.

Aced it. To this day I think he never read my paper; that the grade was based what he expected and not what he actually got.
Pfft. In my first year philosophy class the teacher literally READ THE EXAM TO US two days before the exam! She even told us it was the exam and that we should write down the questions! We discussed answers!!!
franznietzsche
Sep7-06, 03:07 PM
Quote Quote by Alkatran
Pfft. In my first year philosophy class the teacher literally READ THE EXAM TO US two days before the exam! She even told us it was the exam and that we should write down the questions! We discussed answers!!!

Gotta love those classes.

Reminds me of my Poltical Economy class.
Cyrus
Sep7-06, 03:12 PM
Quote Quote by franznietzsche
Umm, you do realize that Heidegger did not write in english right? Take that issue up with the translator.
Yes...............
gravenewworld
Sep7-06, 04:08 PM
P: 1,404
7 final exams in 3 straight days=worst entire 72 hours of my life.
MeJennifer
Sep7-06, 04:43 PM
P: 2,043
Quote Quote by Alkatran
That person does not deserve the title teacher and should have been fired.
Moonbear
Sep7-06, 06:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Alkatran
How many people still got the answers wrong? My PhD mentor used to do this with just one question on the exam. He'd tell them the question and the exact answer, remind them that it would show up on the exam in that exact wording, write it on the board, and then make a bet with the students--if every student in the class got the answer right, he'd come to class with his underwear on outside his clothing. The year I was a TA in the class, a student even got up just before the exam was about to start and reminded the class of the bet and the answer. My mentor thought he was done for that year...who would get a question wrong when they had just been reminded moments before the exam started? I was the one grading the exam, and was just dying to see everyone get that question right and give him the news. He still won the bet. How can a class be handed an answer just before the exam and STILL get it wrong?
chroot
Sep7-06, 07:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Quote Quote by Moonbear
How can a class be handed an answer just before the exam and STILL get it wrong?
Never, ever, underestimate human stupidity.

How far off the mark was the errant student?

- Warren

Register to reply