Projectile Motion trajectory Problem

In summary, the Physics student on Planet Exidor throws a ball that follows a parabolic trajectory. The ball's position is shown at 1 s intervals until t=3s, and at t=1 s, the ball's velocity is (2.0i + 2.0j)m/s. The student is asked to determine the ball's velocity at t=0,2,and 3 s, the value of g on Planet Exidor, and the ball's launch angle. Using the information given, the student is able to calculate the gravity on Planet Exidor and use it to find the velocities at the other times. They can also check their answer using their instructor's webpage.
mst3kjunkie
8. A Physics student on Planet Exidor throws a ball, and it follows the parabolic trajectory shown in Figure 6.8 (whille it will not be recreated on this forum, the figure shows a part of a parabolic curve which starts at the origin and peaks at t=2. It also shows the velocity vector at t=1, which will be entered later in the pst). The ball's position is shown at 1 s intervals until t=3s. At t=1 s, the ball's velocity is (2.0i + 2.0j)m/s, where i and j are unit vectors.

a. determine the ball's velocity at t=0,2,and 3 s.
b. what is the value of g on planet Exidor?
c. what was the ball's launch angle.

I know how to do parts b and c, but can't do either without a. I'm not sure what formula to use, but I do know the following:

at t=1:
v1=(2.0i + 2.0j)m/s
v1x=2.0im/s
v1y=2.0jm/s

ax=0
ay=-g m/s^2

v1x=v0x=v2x=v3x2.0im/s
x0=0m
y0=0m

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the vertical and horizontal components separately. Hints: What's the vertical component of velocity at the highest point? (t = 2) What about the horizontal component?

Figured it out. since the velocity in the y direction is 0m/s at t=2s, I was able to calculate the gravity. I then used this to find the velocities at the other times. I don't know if using part b to solve part a is correct, but I can check my instructor's webpage to see if it gets the correct answer.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a trajectory.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Projectile motion is different from regular motion because it involves both horizontal and vertical components of motion. The object's velocity changes constantly due to the force of gravity, resulting in a curved path instead of a straight line.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, initial angle of projection, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The shape and weight of the object can also play a role in its trajectory.

4. How can the trajectory of a projectile be calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and time of flight. These equations can be solved for the horizontal and vertical components of the trajectory.

5. What real-life applications involve projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, such as sports like basketball, golf, and baseball. It is also used in military and defense systems, such as missiles and rockets. Understanding projectile motion is also important in fields like engineering and physics.