How do we define funny?

by Skhandelwal
Tags: define, funny
Skhandelwal
Jan11-07, 09:42 AM
P: 406
What's funny to one person isn't funny to another. Some say it is gross, while other give it a good laugh. I started to notice a pattern that comedyness has some blend of stupidiness into it but I was proven wrong later on. There are moments we laugh, what makes laugh?(humorly)

Is it a case of opinion of do scientist have answers to this?

Thanks for the replies!
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Study finds codeine often prescribed to children, despite available alternatives
AMA examines economic impact of physicians
Less-schooled whites lose longevity, study finds
tony134340
Jan12-07, 07:47 PM
P: 31
I've seemed to notice it's when someone is being ignorant. I can't go into all the technical biological details as some here on the chemicals involved but I have noticed it's when someone is being ignorant. Name any instance where a laugh can't be contributed to it.

Now as to why, I guess it comes down to man just being more light-hearted to someone who displays it. Since the person isn't perceived as a threat, it makes us feel better about them and more trustworthy since we can see an inherent weakness. And also our parenting side comes into play giving us perhaps a need to take care of the person or befriend them. But don't get me wrong on the ignorance, it's not meant in a derogatory way. A kitten is ignorant of the world when first born just as we all are yet it makes us laugh or smile. Someone does a clumsy action portraying, in a sense, they are ignorant or unobservant of things around them. And if they're not hurt, we may laugh and feel a caring for them since we see a weak side of them.

Yeah, I'm no neurologist, but no one else responded so I thought I would give you my 2 cents.

Register to reply