Register to reply

Transformation Of Probability Density Functions

Share this thread:
caffeine
Jan20-07, 10:46 PM
P: n/a
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let X and Y be random variables. The pdfs are [itex]f_X(x)=2(1-x)[/itex] and [itex]f_Y(y) = 2(1-y)[/itex]. Both distributions are defined on [0,1].

Let Z = X + Y. Find the pdf for Z, [itex]f_Z(z)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
I'm using ideas, not equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
I'm dying of curiosity about where I'm going wrong. I'm so sure of each step, but my answer can't be correct because [itex]\int_0^2 f_Z(z)\,dz[/itex] is zero! Here's my logic.

Consider the cdf (cumulative distribution function) for Z:

[tex]
F_Z(z) = P(Z\le z) = P(X+Y \le z)
[/tex]

Here, [itex]F_Z(z)[/itex] is the volume above the triangle shown in the image I attached to this message (in case something happens to the attachment, it's the triangle in quadrant 1 bounded by x=0, y=0 and x+y=z.)

The volume above the shaded region represents [itex]F_Z(z)[/itex].

[tex]
F_Z(z) = \int_{x=0}^{x=z} 2(1-x)\int_{y=0}^{y=z-x} 2(1-y)\,dy\,dx
[/tex]

Performing the integrals gives [itex]F_Z(z) = \frac{1}{6}z^4 - \frac{4}{3}z^3 + 2z^2[/itex]. Then taking the derivative of the cdf gives the pdf:

[tex]
f_Z(z) = \partial_z F_Z(z) = \frac{2}{3}z^3 - 4z^2 +4z
[/tex]

Unfortunately, this can't be right because the integral of this function over [0,2] gives zero.

I also would've expected that the maximum of [itex]f_Z(z)[/itex] would be at z=0 since individually, X and Y are most likely to be zero.

I checked my algebra and calculus with Mathematica; it looked fine. I think there's a conceptual problem. There must be something I don't understand or some point I'm not clear about.

What did I do wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
img.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
quasar987
Jan21-07, 01:03 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
You have to split the problem into different cases.

i) z<0
ii) z<1
iii) 1<z<2
iv) z>2

In each case the area of integration is different. But for each case, your model for the integral is

[tex]F_Z(z)=\int\int_{\{(x,y)\in [0,1]\times[0,1]:\ y\leq z-x, \}}f_{XY}(x,y)dxdy[/tex]

So you're integrating over the area that's the intersection of the square [0,1] x [0,1] with the area under the curve y=z-x.

(Btw, you never said that X and Y are independant but I assume they are?)
caffeine
Jan21-07, 10:57 AM
P: n/a
Ahhh.... yes. I *completely* understand.

We're integrating that portion of the unit square (in QI with lower left corner at origin) that lies underneath x+y=1.

So when 0<z<1, there's only one function that represents the "top": the line x+y=z.

And when 1<z<2, there's two functions: y=1 and x+y=z, and therefore we need to break the region of integration into two portions.

Got it. Thanks.

And, yes. :-)

Register to reply