Perfect square

by Logarythmic
Tags: perfect, square
Share this thread:
Logarythmic
Feb5-07, 07:29 AM
P: 285
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
[tex]\left(\frac{\dot{x}}{a}\right)^2 = K\left[b\frac{a}{x} + c\left(\frac{a}{x}\right)^2 + (1-b-c)\right][/tex]

Show that, for [itex]b<1[/itex], there is a value of [itex]c[/itex] that makes the right hand side a perfect square of a function of x.

2. The attempt at a solution
I guess that a perfect square is a square of a function that can be written as

[tex](x \pm d)^2 = x^2 \pm 2xd + d^2[/tex]

but I have not been successful in this problem.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
AlephZero
Feb5-07, 08:30 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,937
That's the right general idea, but for your equation you want something like ((a/x) + d)^2.

If you have an expression like ax^2 + bx + c and it is a perfect square, what is special about the two roots of the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0? What condition can you use to decide what kind of roots a quadratic equation has?
Logarythmic
Feb5-07, 08:41 AM
If [itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex] is a perfect square, then [itex]b=2 \sqrt{ac}[/itex] and the roots of [itex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex] is a double root [itex]x_{1,2}=-\sqrt{c/a}[/itex]. I'm not sure what you mean with the conditions..

HallsofIvy
Feb5-07, 09:35 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,327
Perfect square

First let u= a/x. Now, what value of c makes cu2+ bu+ 1-b-c a perfect square? Also recall that Ax2+Bx+ C is a perfect square if and only if B2-4AC= 0. However, it seems to me that b would have to be less than or equal to 1/2 for this to be true, not just less than 1.
jing
Feb5-07, 09:39 AM
P: 123
and if [itex]b^2=4ac[/itex] then [itex]ax^2+bx+c[/itex] is a perfect square. So you know the condition already.

Look again at your quadratic (shame it uses the same letters as those in the general form of the quadratic you have given)

In your quadratic what is equivalent to 'x' 'a', 'b', 'c' in the general form?
Logarythmic
Feb5-07, 10:07 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Now, what value of c makes cu2+ bu+ 1-b-c a perfect square?
Then

[tex]c = \frac{b-1 \pm \sqrt{1-2b}}{2}[/tex]

but that's two values. I think I also want to have [itex]-1 \leq c \leq 1[/itex] for my problem.
Logarythmic
Feb6-07, 04:31 AM
Ok, this is correct. But now I need to find an exact solution for [itex]x(t)[/itex] in this case. Help..? =)
HallsofIvy
Feb6-07, 05:19 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,327
Now write that right hand side as a perfect square, take the square root of both sides and solve the resulting separable differential equation.
Logarythmic
Feb6-07, 06:34 AM
Then I get, using [itex]u=a/x[/itex],

[tex]u=\sqrt{\frac{1-b-c}{c}} \left[ \frac{(exp[K(1-b-c)^{1/4}t]+1)^2}{(exp[K(1-b-c)^{1/4}t]-1)^2} - 1 \right][/tex]

and when I then try to solve for x and show that this is a solution I get these infinite calculations so this doesn't seem right.

Register to reply