Register to reply

Drawing a simple vector field issue

by mr_coffee
Tags: drawing, field, issue, simple, vector
Share this thread:
mr_coffee
Mar22-07, 12:01 PM
P: 1,629
Hello everyone i'm not sure if this is right or not...

If i have

F(x,y,z) = zj; where j is the vector, j hat.

Would that be all vectors are going to be pointing up if you assume z is up, and are in the y plane?

If the coordinate sytem is, z is up, y is to the right, and x is pointing at you.

If i had F(x,y,z) = yj; the answer is, No vectors emanate from the xz plane since y = 0 there. In each plane y = b, all the vectors are identical.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Dick
Mar22-07, 12:44 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
No. j is a unit vector pointing in the same direction as the +y axis. Which you seem to want to call 'right'. The length of the vectors is proportional to their z coordinate. What is the 'y plane'? What does 'in' a plane mean? Parallel to?
mr_coffee
Mar22-07, 12:53 PM
P: 1,629
I worked it out and it seems the vectors are pointing parrallel to the +y axis which is pointing right, for values > 0, and for values < 0 its pointing to the left or in the -y direction.

Dick
Mar22-07, 12:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
Drawing a simple vector field issue

Quote Quote by mr_coffee View Post
I worked it out and it seems the vectors are pointing parrallel to the +y axis which is pointing right, for values > 0, and for values < 0 its pointing to the left or in the -y direction.
That's the right picture (where 'values' means z, right).
HallsofIvy
Mar22-07, 01:52 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,569
z is a number, j is a vector pointing in the positive y direction. Your vector field consists of vector pointing in the positive y direction, longer as z increases. (And pointing in the negative y direction for z negative.)

Register to reply