Register to reply

Drawing a simple vector field issue

by mr_coffee
Tags: drawing, field, issue, simple, vector
Share this thread:
mr_coffee
Mar22-07, 12:01 PM
P: 1,629
Hello everyone i'm not sure if this is right or not...

If i have

F(x,y,z) = zj; where j is the vector, j hat.

Would that be all vectors are going to be pointing up if you assume z is up, and are in the y plane?

If the coordinate sytem is, z is up, y is to the right, and x is pointing at you.

If i had F(x,y,z) = yj; the answer is, No vectors emanate from the xz plane since y = 0 there. In each plane y = b, all the vectors are identical.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Dick
Mar22-07, 12:44 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
No. j is a unit vector pointing in the same direction as the +y axis. Which you seem to want to call 'right'. The length of the vectors is proportional to their z coordinate. What is the 'y plane'? What does 'in' a plane mean? Parallel to?
mr_coffee
Mar22-07, 12:53 PM
P: 1,629
I worked it out and it seems the vectors are pointing parrallel to the +y axis which is pointing right, for values > 0, and for values < 0 its pointing to the left or in the -y direction.

Dick
Mar22-07, 12:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
Drawing a simple vector field issue

Quote Quote by mr_coffee View Post
I worked it out and it seems the vectors are pointing parrallel to the +y axis which is pointing right, for values > 0, and for values < 0 its pointing to the left or in the -y direction.
That's the right picture (where 'values' means z, right).
HallsofIvy
Mar22-07, 01:52 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,545
z is a number, j is a vector pointing in the positive y direction. Your vector field consists of vector pointing in the positive y direction, longer as z increases. (And pointing in the negative y direction for z negative.)

Register to reply