Register to reply

Pressure inside an ic engine

by banerjeerupak
Tags: engine, inside, pressure
Share this thread:
banerjeerupak
May19-07, 01:08 PM
P: 123
Could some one tell me if there is any method to find out the instant pressure inside the combustion chamber of the internal combustion engine. I plan to change the way engines work if the pressure can be monitored.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Danger
May19-07, 01:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Other than by calculation, I guess that the only way would be to mount transducers inside the cylinders or measure the force exerted on the connecting rod bearings.
Brewnog does this sort of stuff for a living, so he might be the best person to answer this.
banerjeerupak
May20-07, 04:59 AM
i was thinking of using piezo electric crystals as the transducer in this case. Would they melt or be active at the temp and pressure acting inside the combustion chamber.

brewnog
May20-07, 06:42 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Pressure inside an ic engine

Yes you can use a piezo transducer, but you need one specially designed for combustion use, and you need a device capable of capturing the data at high speed and matching it to crankshaft angle from a rotary encoder.

Try AVL or Kistler.
banerjeerupak
May20-07, 10:26 AM
could you suggest how this could be done
i'm not trying to do it practically
but only doing theoretical paper.
so i need to explain the usage and not actually make it.
banerjeerupak
May25-07, 02:57 PM
i mean where can we get a piezoelectric transducer designed for such high temperature use. also let me know how to go about capturing the high speed data.
brewnog
May27-07, 10:29 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
What do you want to know? Put a pressure sensor in the cylinder, capture the signal using some kind of data acquisition kit, and link this to crankshaft angle from a rotary encoder.

What's your question?
banerjeerupak
May28-07, 11:02 AM
I want to know what pressure sensor to use.
brewnog
May28-07, 02:30 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
A piezoelectric dynamic pressure transducer?
FredGarvin
May28-07, 03:38 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Look at Endevco's web site.
banerjeerupak
May29-07, 08:26 AM
can you give me the link please to this site.
Danger
May29-07, 08:56 AM
PF Gold
http://www.endevco.com/

Remember, Google is our friend. It took about 1 1/2 seconds to find that.
banerjeerupak
May29-07, 11:19 AM
sorry to have bothered you
i'll rely on google more from now on
Danger
May29-07, 11:46 AM
PF Gold
No bother. I was just pointing out that you need not rely upon others quite as much. You can learn much more by doing your own searches, since they can lead to multiple other related sites that might be beneficial.
brewnog
May29-07, 11:54 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Nice link Fred. AVL and Kistler are the market leaders for reciprocating engine pressure measurement, I'll be sure to check out Endevco.
banerjeerupak
May29-07, 12:18 PM
actually even if i search, my ability to check out the correct links is less compared to an experts eyes. see all the links that you all post from nasa.
i'm a regular visitor of www.nasa.gov but have never come across those links.
just inexperienced i guess
brewnog
May29-07, 03:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I've never posted a Nasa link, just two which were pertinent to what I thought your question was.
jaap de vries
Jun14-07, 04:30 PM
P: 254
Try PCB Transducers, Also ussually internal combustion engines we do not speak of a combustion chamber since it is also a compression chamber etc.
Most of the time only a couple cycles are tested this way one does not let the engine run for a long time. You will need high speed data capturing probably 1 Mhz temporal resolution (see Gagescope). That will give you about one datapoint per degree turning angle

Register to reply