An incline plane, friction, and a pulley.

In summary, to move the 1000kg box up a 45degree incline at a constant speed, a person must apply a force of 693 N to the vertical portion of the rope.
Idioticsmartie
1. Q: With what amount of force must a person pull on the vertical portion of the rope to make the 1000 kg box travel up the 45 degree rough ([tex]u_{k}[/tex] = 0.10) plane at constant speed?

Umm, here is a really awful diagram to help you get the picture. Mac doesn't come with a Paint program, so I grabbed a random one...and this is what I got. Again, sorry.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v123/24/75/1238100168/n1238100168_30084828_487.jpg

[tex]u_{k}[/tex] = 0.10
m = 1000 kg
[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 45
g = 9.80 [tex]m/s^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = m*a
[tex]F_{fr}[/tex]=[tex]u_{k}[/tex]*[tex]F_{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Known Forces:
mg = 9800
[tex]F_{n}[/tex] = 6929.646
[tex]F_{fr}[/tex] = 692.9646

I think I did this problem correctly, but would someone mind terribly checking it? It's just that there aren't any examples in my book, so I want a second opinion before I turn this into my teacher. Thanks!

1) The co-ordinate plane is set so that the x-axis is the inclined plane and the y-axis is perpendicular (of course), so [tex]F_{n}[/tex] = y-axis.
[tex]F_{n}[/tex] is set perpendicular to the plane, while mg goes straight down. When you resolve mg, you get <6929.646, -6929.646>.

2) Therefore, [tex]F_{n}[/tex] = the y-component of mg, so [tex]F_{n}[/tex] = <0,6929.646>

3) [tex]F_{fr}[/tex] = [tex]u_{k}[/tex][tex]F_{n}[/tex] = 6929.646 * 0.10 = 692.9646

4)[tex] \Sigma[/tex] F = [tex]F_{a}[/tex]- [tex]F_{fr}[/tex]
[tex]F_{a}[/tex] > [tex]u_{k}[/tex] * [tex]F_{n}[/tex]
[tex]F_{a}[/tex] = 693.
Sigfigs, so it's 690 kg.

Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Idioticsmartie said:
1. Q: With what amount of force must a person pull on the vertical portion of the rope to make the 1000 kg box travel up the 45 degree rough (u[tex]_{k}[/tex] = 0.10) plane at constant speed?

Umm, here is a really awful diagram to help you get the picture. Mac doesn't come with a Paint program, so I grabbed a random one...and this is what I got. Again, sorry.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v123/24/75/1238100168/n1238100168_30084828_487.jpg

u[tex]_{k}[/tex] = 0.10
m = 1000 kg
[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 45
g = 9.80 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = m*a
F[tex]_{fr}[/tex]=u[tex]_{k}[/tex]*F[tex]_{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I did this problem correctly, but would someone mind terribly checking it? It's just that there aren't any examples in my book, so I want a second opinion before I turn this into my teacher. Thanks!

1) The co-ordinate plane is set so that the x-axis is the inclined plane and the y-axis is perpendicular (of course), so F[tex]_{n}[/tex] = y-axis. F[tex]_{n}[/tex] is set perpendicular to the plane, while mg goes straight down. When you resolve mg, you get <6929.646, -6929.646>.

2) Therefore, F[tex]_{n}[/tex] = the y-component of mg, so [tex]F_{n}[/tex] = <0,6929.646>

3) F[tex]_{fr}[/tex] = u[tex]_{k}[/tex]F[tex]_{n}[/tex] = 6929.646 * 0.10 = 692.9646

4)[tex] \Sigma[/tex] F = F[tex]_{a} [/tex]- F[tex]_{fr}[/tex]
F[tex]_{a}[/tex] > u[tex]_{k}[/tex] * F[tex]_{n}[/tex]
F[tex]_{a}[/tex] = 693.
Sigfigs, so it's 690 kg.

Is this correct?

I don't think so.
oops...I made a mistake
yea, you missed one force(as radou said) lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't you miss a force?

What am I missing?

Sorry about the formatting issues - I'm just beginning to get the hang of Latex

Idioticsmartie said:
What am I missing?

Sorry about the formatting issues - I'm just beginning to get the hang of Latex
When you resolve mg, you get <6929.646, -6929.646>.

You got that 6929.646, but then you never used it in your force equation.

Shouldn't it be like <-6929.646, 6929.6>?

Last edited:
But it's <x,y> and since the x-axes is parallel to the inclined plane, the yis negative.

Sorry, I'm really slow at physics. But I don't quite understand why you need to factor in mg to the equation. The applied force has to be greater than the friction force in order for the box to move, correct? And the friction force is u[tex]_{k}[/tex] * F[tex]_{n}[/tex]

So where does the mg fit in?

Again, sorry.

yea, you are right, I skipped one step, and straight way started thinking aout N.

As, it's a slope so, a part of gravity (that is parallel to the x-axis) also needs to be considered. So, you should have three horizontal forces(a part of the gravity, friction, and applied force) acting on the object.
[I am really poor at explaining things ><]
Hopefully, this helps you :D

Okay, so let me get this straight:

The sum of the forces on the object are:
The applied force (which is, as of yet, a mystery)
Friction
And the x-component of gravity. (Right? I need to verify this)

So:
Seeing as the applied force has to be greater than the friction force, do I subtract the x-component from the applied force (693 N)?

Wait; the gravity is working against the applied force, isn't it? So I have to add it to the applied force in order to move the box? So that would be 693 + 6929, wouldn't it?

Or am I totally off? Thanks a lot for helping with this!

heheheheh...I lul'd at the picture

in my defense, there was no way to draw a straight line with the darn tool.

I'm totally a mac over windows person, but in this case, I kinda vote for Paint.

To move the box up at constant speed means 0 acceleration, so the force you apply vertically (an external force) should cancel out the the forces acting on the box within the system, meaning what is moving the box other than the vertical pull.
No, gravity is the force moving the load down the plane. To find the the force its moving down the plane, you use: Fgx = mgsin(theta). To find the friction, you find the normal force, which is Fn = Fgy = mgcos(theta). Once you have normal force, you multiply it by the constant .10 to get the friction. Once you have this, you subtract the friction force from the force moving the box, which is Fgx...and so, you know what to do from there.

I prefer Windows over Mac...just that when I used Mac, I wasn't well adjusted with it.

Gear300 said:
To move the box up at constant speed means 0 acceleration, so the force you apply vertically (an external force) should cancel out the the forces acting on the box within the system, meaning what is moving the box other than the vertical pull.
No, gravity is the force moving the load down the plane. To find the the force its moving down the plane, you use: Fgx = mgsin(theta). To find the friction, you find the normal force, which is Fn = Fgy = mgcos(theta). Once you have normal force, you multiply it by the constant .10 to get the friction. Once you have this, you subtract the friction force from the force moving the box, which is Fgx...and so, you know what to do from there.

I'm afraid that your explanation only served to confuse me more. Why is it that the force moving the box up the plane is Fgx and not simply more than the friction force?

Idioticsmartie said:
Okay, so let me get this straight:

The sum of the forces on the object are:
The applied force (which is, as of yet, a mystery)
Friction
And the x-component of gravity. (Right? I need to verify this)
!

yep

So:
Seeing as the applied force has to be greater than the friction force, do I subtract the x-component from the applied force (693 N)?

yea, so
Applied force-Weight/sqrt(2)-frictional force = 0

it's sqrt(2) because only horizontal forces are being taken into account.

Okay, so:

applied force = sq.rt of weight + frictional force?

So that's 31.6227766 + 692.646 = 724.571

So if we account for significant figures, I get a grand, final answer *dum de dum* of 720 N?

rootX said:
yep
yea, so
Applied force-Weight/sqrt(2)-frictional force = 0it's sqrt(2) because only horizontal forces are being taken into account.

Why does it equal zero?

Last edited:
no!
applied force = horizontal comp. of W + frictional force
=7622 N

hmm.. hopefully this is correct ><

so then where did the sq. rt part come from?

Idioticsmartie said:
so then where did the sq. rt part come from?

cos/sin (45) = 1/sqrt(2)

Alright, so with 2 sigfigs, it's 7600 N. :)

Thanks so much for the help- I would've done badly on the homework otherwise!

1. What is an incline plane?

An incline plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, allowing for objects to be moved up or down with less force than if they were being lifted straight up. It is also known as a ramp.

2. How does friction affect an incline plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it affects an incline plane by making it more difficult to move objects up or down the ramp. Friction increases as the angle of the incline increases, making it harder to overcome and requiring more force to move objects.

3. What is the role of friction in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, friction plays a crucial role in allowing the pulley to rotate smoothly. Without friction, the pulley would not be able to grip the rope or belt and transfer the force needed to lift objects.

4. How does a pulley reduce the effort needed to lift an object?

A pulley reduces the effort needed to lift an object by distributing the weight of the object between multiple ropes or belts. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object and makes it easier to lift heavy objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of an incline plane, friction, and a pulley?

An incline plane, friction, and a pulley have many real-world applications, such as in building construction, transportation systems, and simple machines like elevators and cranes. They are also used in everyday objects, such as ramps for wheelchairs and shopping carts, to make tasks easier and more efficient.