How to convert count rate into becquerels

In summary, the activity of a source is the number of disintegrations that take place per second in the source. However, to calculate the activity from the count rate and time, one needs to adjust for measurement efficiency (e.g. geometry, etc.). The count rate gives the activity, and the decay constant is a measure of the half-life of a radioactive material.
_Mayday_
I understand that the activity of a source is the number if disintegrations that take place per second in the source. But I do not know how to find the activity from the count rate and time.

My question is how do you convert count rate into becquerels? Is there a formula that I can use? Or I guess you could say CPM to DPM.Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've just had a look around on the internet, and there doesn't seem to be any information on it that I have come across, so I don't know if it is very complicated or is just rarely done.

What I want to do is relate my count rate into the formula [tex]T^{1/2} = \frac{0.69}{\lambda}[/tex]

Well adjusting for measurement efficiency (i.e. geometry, etc.) the count rate gives the activity.

becquerel (Bq) = 1 nuclear transformation per second (s-1).

An older unit of activity is the Curie, 3.7 x 1010 nuclear transformations per second, 3.7 x 1010 becquerels, or 2.22x1012 nuclear transformations per minute. The term nuclear transformations is often replaced by the term disintegrations.

The important thing to remember is that if the sample is not surrounded by the detector, then one is not detecting all the disintegrations, but only the fraction that interact with the detector. Even if the detector interacted with all the radiation, there is still the matter of the dead time, during which a one event is not detected because the detection system has not recovered from a previous event, i.e. two separate radiation events are counted as one.

Ref: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/EHS/prod/researchlab/radlaser/manual/appendices/glossary.htm

This might be a good reference - Health Physics Society

http://hps.org/publicinformation/radterms/

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Well adjusting for measurement efficiency (i.e. geometry, etc.) the count rate gives the activity.

becquerel (Bq) = 1 nuclear transformation per second (s-1[/sup).

An older unit of activity is the Curie, 3.7 x 1010 nuclear transformations per second, 3.7 x 1010 becquerels, or 2.22x1012 nuclear transformations per minute. The term nuclear transformations is often replaced by the term disintegrations.

The important thing to remember is that if the sample is not surrounded by the detector, then one is not detecting all the disintegrations, but only the fraction that interact with the detector. Even if the detector interacted with all the radiation, there is still the matter of the dead time, during which a one event is not detected because the detection system has not recovered from a previous event, i.e. two separate radiation events are counted as one.

Ref: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/EHS/prod/researchlab/radlaser/manual/appendices/glossary.htm
Thank you, is what you are talking about at the end the efficiency of the experiment? As in obviously I am not able to measure all the radiation given off?

How would I go about calculating the decay constant? I would like to use the equation [tex]T^{1/2}=\frac{0.69}{\lambda}[/tex] to calculate the half life, I know that the logarithm on top is lm(2) but I do not know how to calculate the decay constant? I have measurements for Counts recorded on a GM tube, and the time intervals if that helps.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone understands what I am trying to say? Is the decay constant actually a constant and specific to a particular element? How can I find it then, I have looked everywhere.

If you want to measure the decay constant experimentally, you need to measure the counting rate as a function of time. For example, you might measure the number of counts in one minute, then wait nine minutes, then measure the number of counts in one minute, then wait nine more minutes, etc. The number of counts decreases with each measurement.

Make a graph of the number of counts versus time (in this example, t = 0, 10, 20, etc. minutes). Draw a smooth curve that more or less goes through the data points. From that curve you can estimate the time it takes for the number of counts to decrease by 1/2. This is the half-life, and you can calculate the decay constant from it using the formula you gave. There are more sophisticated ways of getting the half-life from the data, but this might be enough for a starting point.

In this setup you don't have to worry about the geometrical efficiency of the detector, because it will be the same for each data point, provided you don't move the source and the detector around.

IF WE give patinet 3mci of TC99M(DTPA) and put him in camma camera and take the count of kidney in different time

My question is how do i convert count rate into becquerels? Is there a formula that I can use? Or I guess you could say CPM to DPM.
then after we convert to activety we draw cruve of activity function time how can i calculated by it to now what the residence time in kidney to calculate internal dose?
are there the same if we want calculate the internal dose of kidney

Thanks

Astronuc said:

becquerel (Bq) = 1 nuclear transformation per second (s-1).

This might be a good reference - Health Physics Society

http://hps.org/publicinformation/radterms/

Don't forget self-shielding!

iman 11 said:
IF WE give patinet 3mci of TC99M(DTPA) and put him in camma camera and take the count of kidney in different time

My question is how do i convert count rate into becquerels? Is there a formula that I can use? Or I guess you could say CPM to DPM.
then after we convert to activety we draw cruve of activity function time how can i calculated by it to now what the residence time in kidney to calculate internal dose?
are there the same if we want calculate the internal dose of kidney

Thanks

A Becquerel/Curie is just a measure of the number of disintegrations per second of the sample and is only dependent on the isotope and how much of it there is. A count rate is how many of those disintegrations your instrument manages to detect, and is dependent on the detector efficiency and geometry. To convert count rate to becquerels you would need to get information about the detector you are using (type/model, often it has its detector characteristics printed on it), as well as biological shielding effects from a HP manual.

To determine the dose to an organ is more complicated. I'm not a health physicist so I don't know all the details. You would need information such as energy spectra, source distribution, biological density and composition, etc. There are probably tables or manuals that tell you how to do this.

What is the formula for converting count rate into becquerels?

The formula for converting count rate into becquerels is: Becquerels = Count rate / Efficiency

What is count rate and how is it measured?

Count rate is the number of radioactive decay events that occur per unit time. It is measured using a radiation detector that counts the number of particles or photons emitted from a radioactive source.

What is the efficiency factor and how does it affect the conversion?

The efficiency factor is a measure of the effectiveness of a detector in detecting and counting radioactive decay events. It is expressed as a percentage and takes into account factors such as the type of detector and the energy of the particles being detected. The conversion from count rate to becquerels involves dividing the count rate by the efficiency factor.

Can count rate be converted into becquerels for all types of radioactive sources?

Yes, count rate can be converted into becquerels for all types of radioactive sources as long as the efficiency factor is known. However, the conversion may be more accurate for some sources than others, depending on the type of detector and the energy of the particles being detected.

What are some limitations of converting count rate into becquerels?

Some limitations of converting count rate into becquerels include inaccuracies due to variations in the efficiency factor, limitations of the detection equipment, and potential interference from background radiation. Additionally, the conversion only provides a general estimate and may not reflect the exact number of radioactive decays occurring in a sample.