presentation of Z_4

by ehrenfest
Tags: presentation
ehrenfest
Mar7-08, 06:59 PM
P: 1,998
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
My book says that [itex](a,b:a^4=1,b=a^2)[/itex] is a presentation of Z_4. I strongly disagree. If they want to get a presentation of Z_4, they need to get b as a consequence of their relations, but I only see that b^2 is a consequence of their relations. Please confirm that my book is wrong.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
StatusX
Mar7-08, 08:09 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,566
Sorry, but I agree with the book. The relation b=a^2 means that b is redundant as a generator, ie, given anything generated by a and b, use this relation to write it in terms of a alone, so that it is generated by a alone. Thus we have:

[tex] <a,b|a^4=1, b=a^2> \cong <a|a^4=1> \cong \mathbb{Z}_4 [/tex]

You can prove this (or, without much more effort, the obvious generalization to more generators) by resorting to the definition of:

[tex] <a_1,...,a_n | r_1,...,r_m> [/tex]

as the quotient of the free group F generated by [itex]a_1,...,a_n[/itex] by the normal subgroup generated by [itex]\{r_1,...,r_m\}[/itex] (specifically, we write the relations in the form [itex]r_i=1[/itex], where [itex]r_i[/itex] is a word formed out of the [itex]a_i[/itex], ie, an element of F).
ehrenfest
Mar7-08, 08:39 PM
Quote Quote by StatusX View Post
Sorry, but I agree with the book. The relation b=a^2 means that b is redundant as a generator, ie, given anything generated by a and b, use this relation to write it in terms of a alone, so that it is generated by a alone. Thus we have:

[tex] <a,b|a^4=1, b=a^2> \cong <a|a^4=1> [/tex]
I am not sure why that equation is true. I thought that the only way this group would be isomorphic to Z_4 would be if b were in the normal closure of a since it is clear that

[tex] <a,b|a^4=1, b=1> \cong <a|a^4=1> \cong \mathbb{Z}_4 [/tex]

Can explain that equation in terms of the definition of a group presentation? I am just learning what that is, so I haven't gotten far from the definition. So this group is the F[{a,b}] modded out by the normal closure N of the words {a^4,ba^{-2}}. What you wrote probably makes a lot of sense but group presentations are just really confusing me!

morphism
Mar8-08, 01:15 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020

presentation of Z_4

A presentation is just a list of generators and relations they satisfy. In this case the generators are a and b, and the relations are a^4=1 and a^2=b. An arbitrary element of the group with this presentation looks like a^n b^m, where n and m are integers. b=a^2 implies that we can write this element as a^n a^(2m) = a^(n+2m). What does a^4=1 imply?
jacobrhcp
Mar8-08, 02:02 AM
P: 169
I am not sure this is the same, but I am currently studying group representations. they are homomorphisms from a group into a linear space. Not isomorphisms like you suggested. Does this make the difference?
morphism
Mar8-08, 02:41 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
A representation is not the same thing as a presentation.
ehrenfest
Mar8-08, 11:47 AM
Let A be a set and let [itex]\{r_i\} \subset F[A][/itex]. Let R be the least normal subgroup of F[A] containing the [itex]r_i[/itex]. An isomorphism [itex]\phi[/itex] of F[A]/R onto a group G is a presentation of G.
So, in our case [itex]\{r_i\} = \{b^4, ba^{-2}\}[/itex]. If R is the least normal subgroup of F[A] that contains those elements, then can you please explain how you know that [itex]F[A]/R[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]Z_4[/itex]?

I guess those relations tells us that [itex]bR=a^2R[/itex] which implies that you can write any element of the quotient group F[A]/R only in terms of aR. So the elements of F[A]/R are all included in the set [itex]\{a^mR : m \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex]. And the algebra of that set is just addition of exponents because that is how multiplication is defined in the free group. And we also know that a^4R=R, so we are modding out Z by 4. I think I see now. What bothers me is that I cannot figure out what R is exactly. I want to write it down so that I know what the cosets of F[A]/R are. Is that possible?
Hurkyl
Mar8-08, 12:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
Quote Quote by ehrenfest View Post
What bothers me is that I cannot figure out what R is exactly.
That depends, of course, on what "figure out exactly" means to you.

You already have a description of R as the kernel of a homomorphism [itex]F[\{a,b\}] \to \mathbb{Z}_4[/itex], and you can do a lot with that information.
ehrenfest
Mar8-08, 01:21 PM
Quote Quote by Hurkyl View Post
That depends, of course, on what "figure out exactly" means to you.
By "figure out exactly," I guess that if I give you an element of F[A], I want to know whether it is in R.
StatusX
Mar9-08, 04:54 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,566
Quote Quote by ehrenfest View Post
So, in our case [itex]\{r_i\} = \{b^4, ba^{-2}\}[/itex]. If R is the least normal subgroup of F[A] that contains those elements, then can you please explain how you know that [itex]F[A]/R[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]Z_4[/itex]?

I guess those relations tells us that [itex]bR=a^2R[/itex] which implies that you can write any element of the quotient group F[A]/R only in terms of aR. So the elements of F[A]/R are all included in the set [itex]\{a^mR : m \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex]. And the algebra of that set is just addition of exponents because that is how multiplication is defined in the free group. And we also know that a^4R=R, so we are modding out Z by 4. I think I see now.
You're pretty much right. More rigorously, you want to form an isomorphism between [itex]F_2/<\{a^4,ab^{-2}\}>[/itex] and [itex]F_1/<\{a^4\}>[/itex]. This is acheived by sending [a] to [a] (the first is an equivalence class in F2 and the second is an equivalence class in F1) and [b] to [a2], which defines the map completely since these are generators. You've basically shown this is surjective, but you should really also show it's well-defined and injective, which shouldn't be too hard.

What bothers me is that I cannot figure out what R is exactly. I want to write it down so that I know what the cosets of F[A]/R are. Is that possible?
R is an ugly group, just like F[A]. It basically consists of all fancy ways of writing out the identity in the group being presented (eg, [itex](ab)^{50} a^4 a^2 b^{-1} a^4 (ab)^{-50} a^{-2}b[/itex], etc).

Register to reply